Tuesday, August 30, 2016

First Days

So school has now been in for a little over 2 weeks for Colby and a little over a week for Lindsay. So far I think they are loving their classes. Colby is in the 3rd grade and has Mrs. Caygle as his teacher. She is new this year to the school. She is older and has 20+ years teaching experience. I am honestly a little excited about him having a "seasoned teacher". I think she will be good for them. He's had younger teachers the last 2 years. Not that that is a bad thing I just think sometimes the older ones have a lot to offer. His class has 13 students I think? He has made some new friends this year and also still has his best friends: Ella, Makyrin, and Nijel. 
We are definitely on a learning curve in 3rd grade. First of all they are using a new behavior system called Dojo points. I still don't understand 100% how it all works. There have been several days he has gotton 1-3 taken away so his behavior grade was a B. He has always been an A behavior student so I am not sure if she counts off for bigger things or he's more comfortable this year and talking more in class. Another thing we are adjusting to is he has a planner. He is responsible for writing down his homework and such. Well first of all for the first few days I honestly didn't think of signing it. In the past we have signed their behavior sheet and since their behavior grade isn't written in their planner I guess I didn't even think of it. I also threw away a Bible study guide one day and he ended up making a D on the test. Again I am totally getting used to the "planner". He used to have a homework page for the week so we could see when tests were coming up. Plus as far as Bible their grade was always based on just memorizing the Bible verse. Agh I felt so bad! But again another thing he probably should have shared with me instead of just expecting mom to figure it out. 
Lindsay has now been in school 2 full weeks as well. She has adjusted beautifully and far exceeded any of our expectations! I really was nervous how she would do with the ALL DAY thing since she had only ever been in 1/2 day preschool before. She really never even seems cranky afterwards. She is super tired at night but not overally cranky or emotional like the transitional year of when Colby started kinder. Its obvious what different children they really are. Her teacher is Mrs. Kuan and Mrs. Hart. I think Mrs. Hart is a little strict but she is loving Mrs. Kuan. I love her room and everything just seems perfect for a preschool class. I love the pace that they seem to be going as well. Its different then her last preschool but she is ready for the pace. Although I have realized Colby at this age would have hated it. I think its a nice balance of work/play for Lindsay though. I took a peek at her schedule and it sounded super fun! So far she has even had a little homework. She had to practice writing her name, find and glue things that began with the letter i and also work on an all about me poster. She has loved doing it all thankfully! 
The only bump we've really encountered with her was that the assistant approached me one morning and told me she wasn't sleeping. She said she would squirm and play around. I got a little annoyed b/c I can't force her to sleep. I told her she pretty much dropped her nap about 6+ months ago. I emailed the teacher though and it looks like they will let her look at books or they will work one on one with her. 
So far they are having a great year! I miss them but I am enjoying my new schedule too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment