Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lindsay Anne Westbrook



























































































































































































































































































So I'm finally going to try and sit down to do this! Our little girl is a week old now and life has been BUSY!


Lindsay arrived last Monday, December 5th 2011 at 7:54 am. We had to start our morning early that day since we had to check into the hospital at 5:30 am. We woke up around 4:00 am to start getting ready. It was bittersweet leaving the house and leaving Colby behind. My parents and Austin's parents came over to sit with him until he woke up. They arrived at the hospital some time after 7. When we got in the hospital they put me in a triage room on the labor and delivery floor. Basically once in there they put my IV in hooked me up to all the monitors and such! I was not nearly as nervous as when we had Colby but I was still a little anxious. My blood pressure was definitely up. The doctor came into the room about 7:15 along with the anetheseologist to see me before surgery. Around 7:15 is also when they brought Colby back to the room to see me. I think he was very curious about what was going on. He was stand offish though towards me. I think he did not understand why mommy was hooked up to all those wires and in bed like that! Around 7:30 they wheeled me to surgery. It was during this point I almost lost it. We ended up passing right by my family and Colby. I hated for him to see me being wheeled away like that. I can't imagine what might have been going through his mind. We tried to tell him though mommy was just going for a ride. Once in the surgery room they put the spinal in. I remember with Colby it being a lot less painful and over more quickly. It still didn't hurt a lot but it was uncomfortable and seemed to take forever. I started feeling numb immediately though. It wasn't long after I was laid down curtains hung up and they let Austin back into the room. Its such a wierd feeling though to be awake during surgery. It seemed to take awhile for them to actually get to her but I know it probably wasn't long at all. As soon as they were pulling her out the doctor said aww she reached for me and commented on how cute she was! She was also crying A LOT! Colby came out crying but settled down pretty quickly. She cried the entire time! Austin was able to even hold her after they did all the immediate check and work on her. They were more laid back with her then when we had Colby. After it came time for Austin and her to leave I thought this part would go by soo slow! Before with Colby they actually put me to sleep. I had asked my doctor at my last appointment if they would do this and she said they prefered not to. Anyway the time went by really fast! With Colby I also remember feeling queasy during the surgery and they had to give me something but this time nothing like that happened. I did feel a little queasy at one point but was able to control it with deep breaths of the oxygen. I also tried to focus on other things instead of the fact they were stitching me up and that seemed to help too. They finally called down with her weight right before they were done. She was 7 lbs 2 oz. Such a small thing compared to her big bro who was 8 lbs 3 oz. I was actually out of surgery I think by 8:30 or a little before. Its always wierd being lifted from the operating table back to the hospital bed which I also remember from Colby being a little afraid they would drop me since you have no control over the bottom half of your body. They wheeled me back to the triage room where we started that morning to recover. There the nurses checked me every few minutes. I was shocked when about 20 minutes after being in there they brought Lindsay in. With Colby it was hours before they brought him to us! They brought her in and she even nursed right away. I was so thankful for this experience. It seemed like we were able to bond with her so much sooner. I know with Colby they were concerned that he wouldn't cry much and they also thought he had a heart murmur. I guess she was so healthy they brought her right away! She didn't stay in long though before they took her back to the nursery. They moved me to my postpartum room around 10 or 10:30. Again also so different from Colby. I actually spent the night in the LDR room with him before they moved me. My parents along with Colby and Austin's parents were able to visit us in there. Randall and Elizabeth also got to come in and visit and hold her. We were able to call and get Lindsay in the room then too. She ended up spending almost the entire day with us. My parents brought Colby up there again after his nap. He didn't pay much attention to Lindsay at all. He was more interested in pushing buttons on the IV or the bed! That evening Michelle Benson and her girls stopped by. They also did this with Colby. It was nice to have visitors and help the time pass. That night Lindsay stayed with us except for a couple times when they took her to the nursery for certain tests. I hate nights in the hospital though b/c I don't sleep well at all. For one the beds aren't comfie at all and they come in like every hour or so to do something. I was also very ready for the catheter and IV to come out. That morning bright and early they came to draw blood and took the catheter out around 6 am. It was about 8:30 when I got up for the first time. I expected a lot of pain from getting up but it wasn't bad at all. So much different from Colby! I almost passed out the first time I got up after having him. It was nice later that morning to finally get a shower too. We had a few visitors throughout the day as well...Mrs. Debi from church came to see us around lunchtime and that night Honey and Max (Colby's friend from school) stopped by. Once again that night though I didn't sleep well so I was soo ready to go home! By Wednesday morning we were asking to go home. They finally told us they would discharge us that evening if my blood pressure went down. So basically we spent the day packing up and me trying to take it easy. We were so ready to get home to big brother and get Lindsay home to her new house! It was kinda a pain to not leave there until 6pm. We stayed a lot longer with Colby but the day we left we were discharged around 11 am so we had all day to settle in. Lindsay did really well on her first car ride. She slept the whole way! My parent's dropped Colby off around 7 and we all ate dinner. After that it was bathtime and bedtime for both kids! It was very hectic. I think we were all mentally and physically exausted! Lindsay did really well the first night I think only waking 2-3 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment