Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving Break 2015













It has been so nice to have the kids out of school. We still have several days left of break I just wanted to stop and record what all we have done! 
Friday- Colby had Grandparents Day and Lindsay had her Thanksgiving Feast. Both had a half day! Colby spent the afternoon with my parents and I enjoyed some quiet time with Lindsay. That evening we had a realtor come by. Yes we are thinking about buying a new house and selling this one! We had dinner and took a walk then had our usual movie night. This week we watched Inside Out. 
Saturday- Austin was off but was going out of town for the USM football game. My parents were also going. I decided to make a trip to Lakeside with the kids. Our friends Ashleigh, Makyrin, and Makylee met us. It was a madhouse! It was the day the train opened and Santa arrived. We were able to do a little shopping and looking around though. The kids got some Christmas ideas. We ended the trip with lunch at the Food Court. It was fun just having that time with friends. The kids loved it! That afternoon we relaxed and watched football. I love our low key afternoons. It rained the rest of the day so we were inside but the kids did a great job keeping themselves busy. 
Sunday- Austin was off and we all went to church. He helped me teach first service. We had about 8-9 kids. I had a few helpers too so it was a pretty good Sunday! We also loved the beautiful cool weather! We even got to enjoy being outside for a bit during class. We stayed for 2nd service as well so we could go to church as a family. This fall I haven't been to church since well like August. With football games and trips its just been so busy! So I was ready to be back in service and its always sweet to worship with the kids. They both did really well too! I am glad they get to sometimes experience big church. I love that our church does church on their level but I also think its important for them to sometimes be in church with us as well. That afternoon we hung out around the house. 
Monday- Austin was back to work. I had to grocery shop. I always hate grocery shopping when the kids are off school. Not b/c I don't like taking them or that they are bad its just I hate to waste a day off with that. They were very well behaved and we had a planned a Thanksgiving playdate with their friend Ella. So after our shopping we went and picked her up then came home so I could put everything away and could cook. My mom also came over to help us. It was a sweet time. I picked up a rotisserie chicken, we had mac n cheese (their fav), green, beans, rolls, and cranberry sauce. We had a fun time and I think it made the kids feel special. I know most Thanksgivings are often more adult centered so I thought it was fun to have a kid centered day and lunch. We ate and talked about what we were thankful for and we sang a few songs. They didn't get much time to play b/c her mom had pick her up b/c her brother Eli had an appt. That afternoon the kids and I just rested and hung out. 
Tuesday- I wanted to do something special with the kids. We decided to go to the Zoo. I had been since like July since we had been. We invited a few friends but no one could come. Honestly I kinda enjoyed just having the kids to myself. We had no agenda I just went where they led. They really enjoyed the animals and it was a beautiful day. We spent a lot of time in the new Frog area and the new orangutan and elephant exhibit. Colby really wanted to see the Jaguars. We went at a nice pace and again I just followed their lead. They were both so sweet! We packed our lunch and had a little picnic in the swamp area. I loved that time with them. I really feel like we are in a sweet spot of parenting. Having a 3 1/2 and 7 year old is pretty amazing! I've really loved having them home. We ate lunch and saw a few more areas before heading home. We relaxed that afternoon and just enjoyed the time together.
Wednesday- We had made plans with my parents. We went to first order Lindsay's cake as per tradition. We then went to Hobby Lobby. We went there a month ago and the kids had a fit so my mom wanted to bring them back at Christmas time! They had the best time. I think Colby and my mom could have bought the place out! Afterwards we ate Mexican with them. Again another holiday tradition. It was nice to enjoy this day before the holiday crazy really sets in. The kids and I made one last stop at Petsmart before coming home. As usual that afternoon we relaxed and hung out. We took a nice walk that evening. 
Thursday was Thanksgiving! 
Friday- We had an appointment for Oliver. I thought this would be easy peasy but the 10:00 appt took 2 hours. It was crazy. The kids were super well behaved though and we made the best of it. We dropped the cat off then met Austin for lunch at Jimmy John's. Another tradition! Its fun taking them downtown like that to see daddy in the middle of the week! We took it easy that afternoon after a busy morning! 
Saturday- We had pictures scheduled at 8:30 so we had to wake up and hustle. They were out at Laffrinere park. The kids were well behaved and cooperative so it went really quick. Its amazing the difference a year makes! We came home for a potty stop then went to the movies. We met Ashleigh, Makyrin, and Makylee there. We saw the movie The Good Dinosaur. It was really cute! The kids loved it and loved being with their friends. We came home after to watch football and rest. 
Sunday- A busy day! We had church..I taught in the early service and we left after that. Our little class had 11 this week so it was quite busy. Luckily I had enough help though so I didn't feel stressed or crazy after ;) We left church and went out to eat. Now that the kids are getting older its a little bit more of a pleasant experience. For awhile we just picked up food b/c trying to wrangle 2 young kids in a restaurant just wasn't worth it. After that we got our tree. It was in the upper 70s and we were all in short sleeves! AGH NOLA Christmas! We got it though. It was a busy afternoon of trying to clean up the house and drag out Christmas stuff. The kids loved each moment of it though and loved helping out! 
This Thanksgiving break was so much fun! We were all well and I was thankful for that and the kids are just at such perfect ages we can do so much! I love that the holidays are so magical and exciting for them! I tried my best to make this a fun and exciting break! I think we succeeded. They got to do something fun every single day! i will miss them greatly while they are at school but it will be a little nice to get life back to normal and be able to have a few hours alone. Also knowing we only have 3 weeks until Christmas break also makes that easier to bear =)

No comments:

Post a Comment