Friday, April 22, 2016

Testing Week and Brain Breaks

This last week Colby had testing at school. I hated this fell right after our move when life was still crazy but it is what it is. He got in every afternoon extremely tired and cranky. Monday Austin was still off and we had sloppy joes and potato salad. 
Tuesday I went up to his school to help with the hall monitoring process. I sat in the middle school hallway. I was able to use the time to catch up on Bible study so that part was nice. It was nice to be able to observe and see some of the big kids. I did get to briefly see Colby too. That was a long and tiring day. That evening I was exhausted and my brain was fried. We ended up having left overs for dinner and Austin worked late. 
Wednesday we had horrible rains and storms. It was rough getting Colby to school but we made it. Had he not had testing we might have skipped. I kept Lindsay home that day though. It was nice b/c she and I picked up breakfast and had the rest of the day at home. It was the first day I was at home and really able to enjoy the new house. I was able to clean and unpack at a leisurely pace. I really enjoyed the day and time with her it was just what I needed. That night was hard though bc Colby got upset b/c I wouldn't let him go to church. Between I had lost my voice and had a cough again and him having testing and the move I felt it best for us to stay in. He didn't understand my reasoning and was upset for quite sometime. It was a hard night. Austin did get off a little earlier though and we were able to enjoy our night and eat jambalaya for dinner. 
Thursday the kids were back at school. I had a haircut. It was nice to get that time to myself but also makes the morning hard when I am away the whole time. Again it was another rough evening. The kids were in awful moods and Austin worked really late. I think we were all fed up! I cooked tacos but it was a survival night for sure. 
Friday was a great day! I was once again doing the hall monitor thing. I got assigned to the 1st-3rd grade hallway. I was kinda excited to finally be near Colby's class. I got to see him and interact with him and his classmates. I also felt a lot more comfortable going in and monitoring their classrooms rather then the big kids! Gosh it brought back memories though! So when testing was over around 11:15 I checked Colby out early. I did this b/c 1 I really didn't want to have to make an extra trip up there and 2 I felt he deserved a low key afternoon after such a long week. Plus they weren't doing much in the afternoons anyway. We went to pick Lindsay up and her class was at recess. We got to visit with the teachers. I think Colby even enjoyed playing some ;). We left there and went to eat lunch at Chickfila. It was nice to have a different type of day. We came home and rested and just enjoyed a low key night. Austin got off early and brought home Five Guys. We ate and had movie night! It was a wonderful start to the weekend!! 
Monday was another day our big boy got some time off school. He had his yearly eye appointment scheduled for 9:45 that morning. Usually we bring him late or check him out early but I decided this year to give him a day off. He hasn't missed any days since like the 1st quarter. And with the appointment falling late morning I knew it would be almost lunch time before I got him back to school anyway. We brought Lindsay to school then headed that way. Once again I think he got a kick out of bringing her to school. I enjoyed my one on one time with him. It reminded me of the days when it was just he and I. He was so sweet and well behaved the whole time. The doctor visit went well. The doctor said he really hadn't had any changes so just keep his prescription the same. I was glad to hear things weren't any worse. Last year they improved slightly so I am hoping as he grows they will continue to get a little better. He and I went to the grocery after the appointment. I was glad to get that out the way. He was a BIG help at the grocery too! I also thought it was a great learning experience for him. That afternoon we enjoyed eating lunch together and hanging out as a family. It was a great break from the normal life craziness. The kids played outside a lot. That afternoon I had the kids work on some "school" work. Lindsay practiced some letters and Colby worked on addition facts and sentence writing. I loved having him home! I really wish I had more days like this!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment