Friday, November 25, 2016

Grandparents & Funerals & Feasts

Whew! What a whirlwind the weekend was! Friday we woke up early and went to school for Grandparents Day. It was the first one that I was able to attend. I had originally planned to be at Aurora but I was glad to be able to be there for my kids as well. The morning began with the adults gathering in the church while the kids had carpool. Soon they call came in and they started out with Morning Assembly just like they do every day. I totally lost it when one of Colby's classmates volunteered to pray and bless it prayed for Colby and the loss of his pawpaw. So sweet. It was another moment that I truly realized our kids are in the right place. They split the kids by ages so the 2nd-8th grade left out to go to breakfast. I stayed put in the assembly so I could see Lindsay's class sing. They had also asked my dad awhile back if he would speak at this. He did a wonderful job! The whole morning was just so great. Even though we were in the midst of mourning pawpaw it was just nice to be around people who we love and love our family and to celebrate grandparents. After Lindsay's class sang I walked over to the cafeteria to spend time with my dad and Colby. They were finishing up breakfast when I got in there. It was so cute too...he was sitting at a table with like 4 other boys. They were all so well behaved though. They played Bingo and I just enjoyed watching and hanging out. When they switched I went back into the church so I could hear Colby's group sing. His class was absolutely adorable! I loved it! I left out again so I could then hang out with my mom and Lindsay. They were already finished eating when I got in there. I sat and visited with them a few minutes before we went back into the church to round up Colby and my dad. It was such a sweet morning! I just love our school and school family! 
We left and had to come home to hustle to prepare for our trip to Hattiesburg. Since Austin was already up there---there was a lot for me to do. We packed up our stuff and ate lunch and loaded up the van. We met my parents at their house and my mom rode up with us. We got into Hattiesburg about 3:30. We unpacked at the apartment and got settled. We took just a few min to rest and get ourselves together before heading over to Austin's parents. I know Austin was super ready to see us. We got to eat and hang out with his mom and sisters and their families. The kids enjoyed being with Shelbi and Maggie. I think it was a great distraction for them. It seemed to really perk them up. Soon Mrs. Linda's sister arrived and Mr. Jim's 2 brothers and their families. It was a full house! We visited and hung out but once the extended family started leaving I felt like it was time for us to go ahead and head out as well. The kids and I had had a full day and I knew the next day would be much of the same. We said our goodbyes and got back to the apartment. Austin was able to come that night and spend the night with us after helping them clean up. We were glad to have him around. I think we were all pretty tired though. 
Saturday we were up bright and early. The funeral started at 9. This was the kid's first funeral and I wasn't sure what to expect. Since we were immediate family we got there a few min before 9 and we were able to view the body and just mourn as a family for awhile. It was hard pulling up to the church and seeing PawPaw's truck but also a hearse. It was so conflicting. Then going in and seeing his body. Again I had no idea what to expect from the kids. Colby of course took it hard but he wasn't scared or overly emotional. He and Maggie just wanted to hang around by the casket. At 9:30 was when extended family and friends started showing up. My parents and Randall and Elizabeth arrived around this time. While they were all there we went to the fellowship hall and let the kids enjoy a donut and walked around some. It was nice to get a break from the sadness. We were back in forth around the church while they visitation lasted 2 hours. The kids were starting to get restless but they really hung in there well considering. At 11:30 the services started. It was about an hour long. It was a beautiful service. I know PawPaw was watching and was proud. After the service we went to the burial. This was an emotional time for everyone. We were out there about 30 + min. After though we went back to the church for lunch. We were all starving! It felt so good to sit down and eat lunch! Colby enjoyed more time with his cousins. After we ate my parents and the kids and I went back to the apartment to pack up and head back to NOLA. I hated to not stay longer but we really needed to get back and we were all so exhausted. We got home around 6 that evening. The kids and I had a light dinner and got ready for bed. Austin got in around 9. I was glad he decided to come on home as well. He was so exhausted that night. Plus I believed we all needed the time to resume life and try to soak up the time together. 
Sunday we decided to sleep in and only go to 2nd service. I think we all needed the rest and the quiet. It was nice to take it easy. We still were ready early though so we stopped for coffee on our way. I was able to sit in church for the first 30 min then I had to go into the Fellowship Hall and help with the Scouts. They were volunteering to help out with the Senior Adult Lunch. They were so cute and so well behaved. We stayed for the lunch as well. I was so proud of Colby and his friends and how they acted the entire time! I think the senior adults got quite a hoot out of them as well. Once we helped them clean up a bit we came on home. Once again we were all ready for some rest and hanging out. There was also much to be done around the house. 
This Thanksgiving Break started out WAYY different then we imagined or hoped but there was still so much to be thankful for. I am thankful for the life PawPaw lived and all he meant to our family. I am thankful for the way things worked out that we were able to still participate in our holiday stuff but also be there for Austin's family. The weekend was different and a sad time but it also just made me realize how God is in control and He truly takes care of his children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment