Thursday, December 28, 2017

'Twas the Week Before Christmas Break

So this past week has been a very interesting and busy week. By Monday 3 staff members at the church had fallen to the flu. It was a crazy week also with it being the week of Christmas! Monday was a pretty ok day. Austin did have a Christmas party that night which meant he didn't get in until after 11. I was so tired b/c naturally I couldn't fall asleep until after he got in. 
That next morning I woke up  and was SO TIRED! Lindsay also woke up not feeling well. I took her temp and she had a slight fever. I registered right at 99. Well with the flu going around I really didn't want to take chances. I also really knew we could use a day of rest. Austin was off that day and I just knew it would be a great day to rest. Well Colby did not want to miss school so Austin went ahead and brought him. I literally relaxed ALL day. My body felt like it had been run over by a train. I really thought I was getting the flu. Turns out it was just pure exhaustion. Lindsay and I went to go pick up Colby and that way I was able to get a few things situated in my room from having a sub that day. We got in that night and just hung out as a family which was nice. Since all the grades and such were turned in there was no homework this week which was pretty awesome too! 
Wednesday we were ofcourse back at it. In kindergarten though we had a full fledged day of school. The day before they hadn't done much since they had a sub. She taught handwriting and Bible and that was about it...which was fine. So I had them doing a full day of school. It helps though to pass the time. Finally that afternoon the sun came out and we were able to get outside which was awesome! We had been cooped up all that week. I also let them watch a movie that day during nap time. Colby also had a party that day b/c his teacher was going to be having surgery the following day. That night though we found out my dad went to ER b/c his heart rate was elevated. I felt bad that we couldn't be there with him and my mom. But we had literally just gotten home and the kids hadn't had dinner. Anyway my brother and sis in law stayed there with them so that was good. 
Thursday was of course Christmas Party Day. I knew it would be a long day at school. We didn't do any work that day of course. I had them do a few "Christmas type pages" we also spent about an hour + in the prep 4 room doing centers and crafts which really helped speed the time along. We had lunch right after then I took them to the playground to play. I was so glad we could get outside even though it was hot and muggy. It helped that they got their energy out though. Once we got back to class they settled in for a movie. I was glad to have that time to just "sit" as well. I did do a few things to get prepped for the party. Well the room mom aka party mom was supposed to arrive at 1 which would have been exactly when the movie ended. Well she ran 30 min late so in true teacher fashion I had to pull stuff out of my hat for the kids to do. We did a couple Christmas worksheets before she arrived. Once she got there the kids got really amped up. She had them do a "birthday party for Jesus" which was really cute but she kinda made them hyper with party hats and blowers. It all turned out ok though and I was just thankful to not have to "run" the activities. I mostly just went around and managed the chaos. Well by 2:45 we were wrapping up her activities so the other parents arrived and the kids were able to sing their songs then give their parents their gifts. It was a sweet little moment. I didn't want parents hanging out all day but I was glad they got to come in and see their kids in their classroom. I was so glad to have that day behind me! 
Well after we left the school we stopped by the hospital to see my dad b/c he had to stay another night. It made for a long day but since I couldn't be up there any other time I knew it was important for us to stop. Plus I think just having us there helped lift his spirits. We stopped and picked up Chickfila on the way home b/c we were starving! It was a long day and I was so thankful to get home and get in the bed that night and then to begin our Christmas vacation! It felt so good knowing the next day we could sorta "sleep in"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment