Thursday, October 10, 2013

ER VISIT & the Rest of the Story

Ok so Friday night we all slept pretty good and slept in Saturday morning. We awoke to blue skies to the boys decided they would go ahead and go to Hattiesburg. I was a little sad our family trip had fallen through but was also a little excited about a quiet, restful day with my girl. After the boys left we headed out on some fun errands. I wanted to go to the Educator and get the kids some paints and some phonics stuff for Colby to work on. Afterwards we hit up the uniform store for one more pair of pants and a fleece for school for Colby. A cool front was coming through and he would need to wear pants a couple days this week so I wanted to be prepared. So far we are making it with 5 shirts, 3 shorts, and now 3 pants. I could tell after our errands Lindsay was getting tired. I knew she still didn't feel like herself b/c she was quiet and not her usual spunky self. So we got home and she got lethargic. She just wanted to lay in a chair. I asked her if she wanted lunch and she just continued to lay there. I figured I was going to fight her to eat. With Colby I would have forced him to eat but I have learned that they will eat when ready. So finally I just offered to hold her and she got in my lap. She actually ended up falling asleep on me which really scared me but she was also acting like she was in a pain. I kinda freaked when she fell asleep on top of me b/c she hasn't done that since she was a little infant. At this point I called the ped but they weren't open. Since she was asleep I thought I would just go lay her in her bed. Well when I layed her down she flipped out and starting twisting her body and screaming ouch and crying in pain. It really scared me so I decided to take her to urgent care. I thought maybe now it could be her ears or something else like appendicitis.
She and I drove over to the Urgent Care uptown. Thankfully they saw us right away. The doc looked her over and basically said what the ped said...her ears, throat, etc were fine that it was most likely some type of virus causing the stomach pains. She gave us a prescription for an antibiotic just in case it was bacterial. So I felt a little better. Well my mom met us when we got home and she got to see Lindsay crying/screaming in pain. I rocked her and she fell asleep again. Poor baby was SOO tired by that point. So I went ahead and laid her down. She was too tired to fight it then. My mom left once we were settled. I got settled in and ate my lunch and laid down to relax thinking everything was ok. By then Austin and Colby had turned around to come home. Not knowing what the evening held with Lindsay they felt it best to come home and its a good thing they did. So by 3 she was awake again screaming in pain. Well by this point I was really worried. I called Austin and my mom and told them I was heading to the ER. The guys were back in the city and decided to meet us at the Big Oschner. My mom came with me. Anyway we got there and they immediately pulled us in triage. They checked her out...she had no fever I think her blood pressure was a little high but I think that was mostly b/c she was worked up over being poked and prodded by strangers. As soon as we finished up in Triage they brought us to a regular room. I was so grateful they saw us right away and we didn't have to wait. We got settled in the room. A nurse and student doc came and checked on her first. At this point they were suspecting maybe a UTI. They told us at that point she would get an x-ray, catheter, and an IV. The attending doc came in next. She was concerned that Lindsay could have an incesspetion. She told us they would perform this barium enema test on her. We were getting concerned at this point what might be wrong with our little girl. So first they came in and did the catheter. Well I am sure you can imagine how well she liked that. I think this was the worst to watch. I know how much those things hurt to put in and I felt so sorry for her having to experience that kind of pain at only 22 months. Well they gave her a little time to recover for that before coming in for the IV. They papoosed her for this which I was actually glad b/c it seemed to calm her some. Well after all that trauma we had a few more minutes for her to recover before they came to whisk us off to radiology for the barium enema test. This is what made me most nervous...I had no idea what to expect. Everyone that greeted us asked if we understood what was about to happen...then they had to tell us that they could actually perferate her bowels and she would have to have surgery...ahh talk about a nervous mommy and daddy! Anyway the test was actually pretty quick. About 2 minutes into it they told us there was no issues! Praise the Lord. We were able to go back downstairs to our room. We waited for about an hour after that for all the tests to come back and the doc to check us out. We ended up leaving with she had some type of virus most likely that was causing the unexplained belly pain. AGH frustrating but also so relieved our baby was ok! We were all so tired though! We left and went to pick Colby up. It was after 8:30 before we got home. We quickly bathed kids and sent them off to bed! Austin and I were so thankful to finally sit down about 9 and eat our dinner and relax! What a crazy day! But so much to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment