Thursday, December 18, 2014

Twas' The Week Before Christmas

So life is really busy with holiday stuff but I am trying to hold fast to my commitment to not get stressed. If it causes stress we don't do it. I am trying to focus more on the moments and not the fluff! So here's what's been going on since our stay at the plantation.
Saturday we picked the kids up around 11. We came home to unpack and eat lunch. It was refreshing to be home as a family. We ate lunch and watched football and rested. That afternoon we got some house stuff done. That evening we decided to take the kids to City Park. In the past we have gone on Lindsay's birthday but this year that just didn't work out. We knew Saturday would be a lot more crowded then a Thursday but we figured we would make it work. Oh we had no idea what we were in for. First traffic getting out there was a nightmare. But ya know the old me would have been so upset but we just took it in stride and sang Christmas songs while we waited to get there. We finally got in the park then finding a parking spot was CRAZY! We had to park forever away and again the old me might have complained but I chose to see it as an opportunity for exercise. We got to the park waited in line to get in. We finally got in and realized the crowds. We made our way over the rides hoping to get in the train line. I would have waited an hour but the wait looked to be over 3 hours long. We decided to take the kids to Storyland. It was still crowded but not nearly as bad as the other sections. The kids had fun and got to do most everything in there. About the time we were finishing up Lindsay said she had to potty so I took her to the nearest bathroom and ofcourse there was a line...so we waited...and waited. I could tell she really had to go. About the time we were about to finally go in she peed on herself. I felt so bad. I know she just couldn't hold it anymore. Luckily she doesn't flip out over stuff like that like Colby would have. We headed towards the gate but looked at a few more lights on our way out. I guess it was the signal that it was time to get out of there. Colby was a little sad but overall took it well. We enjoyed seeing the lights on the way out. It was just a good family night we weren't looking to see the whole park or anything just spend time together and the weather was gorgeous. I think everyone still left in high spirits. After we drove downtown and got to see some more lights which was fun.
Sunday we had church. It was Austin's first time to go with us in forever and our first time to sit together in months! After church we came home to eat then Colby had rehearsal. The kids are having a Christmas play next Sunday. That afternoon we just hung out after that.
Monday was back to school. I had the usual grocery shopping and getting the kids to/from school which makes for a busy day. That evening we thought it was Calvary had Chickfila night. We showed up though and were the only ones! Oh well it was still a nice break from the kitchen and the kids had fun. That evening ended up with some adventure though. About 2 hours after we got the kids to bed we heard crying. We thought it was Lindsay b/c she will cry over random things. Anyway come to find out it was Colby. He was crying saying his bottom hurt/itched. After almost an hour of dealing with him almost in a panic attack mode we thought to actually look at it and ended up finding out he had pinworms! OMG! I freaked out! Anyway though it turns out it is very common and my brothers had it and so did Austin! We talked to a nurse and finally put some cream on it and he ended up sleeping all night. I ended up turning off my alarm though b/c it was almost midnight by the time we all go to sleep.
So the next morning I knew a doctor's call was in order but I figured we wouldn't have to go in. I kept Colby home and figured we could just have a fun day. It was desperately needed anyway! We had a nice leisure morning of cinnamon rolls and cartoons. I loaded them up later and we went to Walgreens to get his meds and then to the park. We tried out a new local park and they had a blast! We stayed atleast an hour. We had the place to ourselves and the weather was gorgeous. It was just such a fun moment. We rarely get to take park trips anymore b/c life is just too busy. This was one of those moments we just needed unstructured play! If it were up to me kids would only go to school 4 days a week and one day would be a PLAY day. If I ever homeschool we will def have a once a week park date. I just think its necessary for child development. They need to climb and run and use their imaginations. I played with them for a good bit of time then found a bench and let them have had it! It was just such a wonderful moment! The rest of the day we mostly relaxed. Colby and I worked on some math and spelling. Again love my once in awhile homeschool time. I am still torn if I could do it full time but once in awhile is awesome. That night we had our Lifegroup Christmas party. I think it worked out well that we skipped school b/c it made going to the Christmas party more enjoyable. My parents were out of town so we brought the kids. Plus we figured they would love to go and hang out with the other kids. And since this is the week before Christmas I am not stressing over school work and early bedtimes! We all had a blast! I always love visiting with everyone and the kids love the Richardson's house. We stayed until 8 then came home and got the kids ready for bed.
Wednesday was back to school for everyone! I had some shopping to do at Target. I enjoyed my last official morning alone! I miss my kids but alone time is also wonderful =) That afternoon we had a low key time. Austin has been getting off work early with this new job so we ate dinner together then took a walk. We used to do this all the time with Colby and Lindsay when they were babies/toddlers. Now life just seems so busy we don't get around to it. I hate it too! I want us to get out and exercise as a family more. Anyway I hope we can go atleast 2-3 times a week. The kids loved it and it made them sleep well too!
Today (Thursday) my last girls day with Lindsay...we chose to go out to Lakeside and do some Christmas shopping and just have some girl time. We started out the day with coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde. This is a rare treat for us. But since we arrived early and really couldn't do anything else a breakfast stop was a must! Once the stores opened at 9 it took us 45 minutes to get everything we needed! Hallelujah! Now I am not done shopping but I did take care of all that I wanted to do today! Then we came home for some cartoons and playtime!! Its my last quiet day. Tomorrow both kids have parties. I am really going to only be at Colby's but hoping to see Lindsay for a few min if I can check him out early enough. Then will start our Christmas break!! Tonight the boys are going to Cub Scouts so I will be getting busy on my Christmas treats for them for school. Nothing fancy this year just candycanes and Olaf string cheeses =)

No comments:

Post a Comment