Monday, June 18, 2018

VBS AMPED

So last week was VBS for us. It was truly a wonderful week and we had a blast! Since quitting preschool ministry last year after VBS I knew this year I would want to be involved in big kid VBS. Especially since now both of my littles are in that age group. I had signed up for k-2nd grade. I ended up being assigned 2nd. The first day I was a little overwhelmed just b/c it was all new to me. I feel like I quickly found my groove. I felt like big kid VBS was a breeze compared to the little kid VBS. So our daily schedule was something like this:
We would leave our house about 7 each morning and arrive at 7:30. From 7:30-8 I would look over the curriculum and supplies in the room and make a game plan for the day. From 8-8:30 the kids play outside. This part of the day was probably my least favorite b/c for whatever reason it seemed to overwhelm Lindsay and she would basically hang on me the entire 30 min. I mean I did get to visit with other adults during this time, but still I found it exhausting. From 8:30-9:10 we had large group time. During this time they sang, played games, and had their morning devotion. I really enjoyed this time. After that our group went outside. We were grouped with 2nd-5th. I was able to see Colby's little group of friends hang out. I didn't really get to see as much of Lindsay's group. We were outside from 9:15-9:50 each day. It was nice during that time that the kids just got to play and have some down time and time to get their energy out. From 9:55-10:30 we went back to our classroom for our learning time. I really did enjoy this time of teaching and it went by SO fast! This was the time you really got to know the kids and hear about their life. From 10:35-11:05 the kids went to Missions. During that time it was a little bit of a break. Since there were so many adults in the room during that time I didn't feel bad taking a restroom/water break or making a phone call or what not. I tried to stay around to help corral the kids, but it did allow for some down time. After that we would go to art, this lasted from about 11:05 until 11:30. During that time I tried to assist as much as possible and also go around and just try to talk to the kids. After that they went to their last rotation Music. This was our scheduled break time which was nice. It was nice every day to just sit and visit with friends. Afterwards we did dismissal from upstairs in our classrooms. I usually tried to escape by 12:15 if not earlier due to the kids having swim lessons. 
Our week was pretty routine with coming home and eating lunch then resting for a short bit before getting dressed to head out to lessons. With the 3:00 lessons it really shortened our afternoons. It wasn't bad though. I feel like it kept the kids active and from getting bored. On Tuesday we had bad weather though and they were cancelled and it was such a blessing to have that free afternoon to just rest/relax. 
I think my kids had a blast! Colby is super independent and does his own thing and loved every second of being with friends. Lindsay was a little more shy especially first thing in the mornings. Colby had just about all of us 4th grade friends there so he was in heaven. Lindsay had 2 school friends and then Genevieve who she's grown up with. It was a wonderful week and I am truly thankful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment