Thursday, April 25, 2013

Weekend Hattiesburg Trip








We just got back from a little weekend trip to Hattiesburg. We went up for Shelbi's 9th birthday. We always go in April on or around her b-day. This year they were just having a low key birthday party at their house. We left late Friday afternoon when Austin got off work. It stresses me out a little leaving that late in the day with tired, young kids but I have to admit they both did great. We stopped in Slidell to eat at McAlister's which I think they both enjoyed. Neither slept the entire way up! I was shocked that Lindsay never slept! She is not much of a car sleeper. She really only sleeps in car if we happen to be traveling in the late morning approaching her naptime. Anyway we got to Hattiesburg around 8. We made the decision to just go to the apartment. Usually we would go visit with Austin's parents but it was so late and we were all exhausted we figured it would be better to get the kids to bed early. Its always nice to get the kids to bed and enjoy a little downtime just Austin and I.
Saturday we all slept in until 8! I can't tell you how great that felt! I never sleep that late at home. Anyway after waking up we started getting ready while Austin picked up breakfast. We ate and finished getting dressed. We packed the kids up for the birthday party. We had to stop at Target for the birthday girl on the way though =). My week was just so busy I had no time to get it done. Since Austin's sister lives out in the country...Austin loves to drive those hilly country roads pretty fast...Colby loves it! He gets the biggest kick out of that feeling in your tummy...well NOT LINDSAY she had a look of sheer terror on her face! Poor baby she was so scared. Well we got out to the party and the kids joined in the fun. Since they live out in the country Colby gets to do a lot he doesn't normally get to do. They have a trampoline, 4-wheelers, fishing pond, baby chicks, etc. He loves it! I know Lindsay will too one day...I think she liked the walking around freedom but she is at the age she gets really nervous around crowds and strangers. So she was very clingy to me...I don't think she let anyone else hold her the whole time. This makes events very tiring for me. I remember this from when Colby was that age too and now he's so into it! i know one day she will be off and running so right now all I can do is be patient with her. IT used to stress me out especially when Colby was that way but I know its just a phase. Its always very tiring though having her at events like this. We were able to make it through pizza, cake, and presents though. Now that Colby is older and doesn't need naps we left him out there with Austin's parents and brought Lindsay home. It just wasn't worth having a grumpy toddler! Plus it gives Austin's fam a little time with Colby. Well Lindsay fell asleep on the way back...which is never good. I knew she would be hard to fall back asleep and sure enough she was! She never fell asleep. By 3:45 I just gave up and got her up and Austin and I and her got ready to go get Colby. We went over to his parent's house. We got him cleaned up then all of us went to eat dinner that night. That was really the only 1 on 1 time we got with his parents. It was nice and both kids actually did really well at dinner. I was shocked at how well Lindsay did considering she had no nap. After dinner b/c it was such a pretty night we decided to go walk around USM's campus. It was such a nice night and we haven't done that in forever. Plus it was easier to push Lindsay in a stroller then go back to his parent's house where I would have to constantly watch her every move. When we got there we stumbled upon a real Native American Pow-Wow...it was pretty interesting. We stayed there for awhile then walked the rest of the campus. Walking around there was so weird...it feels like YEARS since I was a student there. I kept trying to picture what life was like then. Anyway it was fun showing Colby places where mommy and daddy went to class and lived. After we walked the entire campus I think we were all pretty tired so we headed back to the apartment to put the kids to bed. They were both exhausted and fell asleep pretty quickly. Once again Austin and I were able to relax.
Sunday we got up and took our time getting ready but left by 9. We were anxious to get home and have most of the day to unpack and get the house ready for the upcoming week. It was nice just being home and enjoying being together. We spent time outside and took a walk. It was a great weekend...I think we all needed the little "break". We really enjoyed the trip especially since it will probably be a little while before we get back up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment