Saturday, January 25, 2014

Subbing!

So I subbed today for the first time in MANY years! It was for Lindsay's class at MDO though! I mean I do teach a lot at church and I did sign up for subbing a couple of years ago at Calvary when Colby was little but it seemed every time they called I wasn't available. I have been asked to get back on there as a sub but right now I want to enjoy my being a SAHM with Lindsay. She only goes to school 2 half days a week so unless it fell on those days I really want to enjoy my time with her! But I did talk to the teachers at her school and told them to add me there. This was my 2nd call but the first time I could actually do it!
There are 2 MDO classes and I actually was in the older class...Lindsay is in the younger but she came over to my class today. She's sort of a middle kid so she can go either way! She is a young 2 so she's older then most in her class but younger then the others in the other class.
I now def have an even bigger appreciation for her teachers though! It wasn't bad but it was tiring! You just don't stop all morning! Thankfully it was just 9-12. Teaching 2nd grade was exhausting but you did get breaks and they weren't quite as needy.
The morning started off with playtime. They get to pretty much play freely for the first hour. There was a simple craft to do that they all actually participated in which was nice too. Lindsay did well for the most part with me being in there. I think she was more vocal/opinionated though. Around 9:50 I had all the kids help me clean up the room which most of them did help. At 10 they had snacks. They just have a simple snack most days of cheerios and pretzels except on like holidays and birthdays. The kids must have been starving though b/c they ate and ate haha. After their snack we did potty and diaper changes...this is the part of the day where I think teachers need to be paid more! Wow changing 5 kids and bringing them to the potty is exhausting. We then went to the gym. Since it was cold and sleeting on those days they go play in the gym. They basically just ran around and played with a variety of balls. I think they had a good time though and it was a nice break from the classroom. Around 11:15 we went back to the class. At that point we did circle time...I read a story and then we sang some songs. The kids did really well during that! Afterwards I checked diapers but no one needed changing so I just had one little girl go to the potty. I put on the music and they went back to playing/coloring while I cleaned up the room and got everyone's stuff organized to go home. Believe me I was ready to go at 12 haha.
It was a fun experience but not sure I would want to do that every day or even twice a week! I am glad I got to be with Lindsay though and see what she does at school! The rest of the day was low key. The weather was really gross and we are getting ready for our trip!
We will be gone all week to Disney so there will be lots to post about when we get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment