Sunday, March 9, 2014

Weekend Fun

The kids and I are enjoying our weekend so far! The weather has turned out nice and we have been able to get outside FINALLY! It was last Saturday since my kids really played outside! They got to ride bikes a little in Hattiesburg but it was really cold and rainy there as well!
Friday as soon as we got home from school I said "Let's play outside!" We don't usually do this on school days b/c I usually have to do homework with Colby and then there is dinner to cook but Fridays also mean Fast Food! We played outside for quite awhile then we hopped in the car and picked up Wendy's. I know I know not healthy but we really don't eat out much anymore so this is my night off and a fun thing for the kids! After Austin got home we even went to get icecream! Which again we NEVER do! We usually do this during the spring/summer so its obviously been quite awhile since we have gone but I figured again it would be a fun Friday night treat for the kids.
Saturday we had another open day! Its crazy we haven't had anything going on like we did during the fall but honestly I am not complaining! I like not rushing out the house. We take advantage of dry Saturdays and go to the park. We have actually visited several here lately. I love free fun! I also like to see the kids getting exercise and enjoying nature! Its a win/win for all! We stayed a long time today at the park in Belle Chasse. Once again my parents met up with us. This works out well b/c they play with the kids and they love getting to see them since during the week we don't see them much.
After playing at the park for awhile we decided to stop at Rotolo's for lunch. Its rare that I take the kids out to eat by myself or really that we go out to eat at all so this is always a big treat for them! Lunch was good...a little slow but hey I didn't have to cook it or clean it up so for that I am thankful! We made one more stop before coming home for naps. The rest of the afternoon was very low key. We mostly just rested and caught up from a pretty busy week.
Sunday Austin was still working but the kids and I were off to church. I didn't have preschool today so I was able to go into worship. It was a great service. It was the first Sunday of LENT and it was so convicting! I can't believe I have never participated in LENT before I just always thought of it as just something for the Catholics. Its been really neat though going through this process as a family for the first time! Colby even came home with a reminder on why we are "giving up" things. Its not just about giving things up but getting closer to Jesus. He has chosen to limit his TV time. I didn't want him to totally give it up b/c wow that would be really hard for a 5 year old...plus it would be really hard on his momma. I figured we would all be miserable which would lead to no getting closer to God. Anyway we decided to limit it. I am still not sure what exactly that will look like just that we will make an effort to turn off the tv more and enjoy games, outdoors, and face to face conversation. I think the biggest area is when we are eating dinner. So again I will update on how this is all going over the next few weeks. Austin and I have also given up our snacking habit at night. We always watch tv together at night which I love that time reserved for him and I but we realized our snacking was out of control. I have also chosen to give up judging/talking about people. I have felt very convicted here recently about how often I judge people and about my own pride. Its been hard but I am relying on God through this season. Anyway its an exciting time in our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment