Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Christmas 2015







Thursday was Christmas Eve. We always enjoy the fact that Christmas Eve is really one of the only days during the year that we don't have to wake up and go anywhere. We enjoy sleeping in and taking it easy. We always cook sausage balls and grits. It was nice to soak it in and enjoy the morning. Once we were all dressed we decorated Santa cookies. This was a fun new tradition. My mom had actually made some tea cake cookies and I asked her for some plain ones that we could decorate. This was the first time really doing this but the kids enjoyed it. Afterwards we took them on a walk. I couldn't believe all we accomplished before 11 am. The kids played outside with Austin awhile longer. We had a light lunch and then rested. We let the kids watch a movie since we were hoping for early bedtimes that night. 
After naptime we went over to my parents. We got there around 5. We ate dinner with them and just enjoyed some good ole visiting and remembering Christmases past with them. We always also celebrate Jesus' birthday. Its a fun and special time. The kids were in rare form after dessert though. We sang some songs and ready the Christmas story. After that the kids were def needing to get home. We got home and things got a little testy due to Colby's attitude. It's the first Christmas Eve I recall getting truly mad at one of our children. It was a lesson though on how Christmas really isn't about perfection but about how Jesus came for the dirty, the sick, and the sinners. We ended on a good note. We set out cookies and reindeer food and read our Advent book. I always enjoy setting out Christmas for the kids once they go to bed. It didn't take us long at all this year since we scaled way back! We were finished and just enjoyed watching a movie before bed. 
Christmas morning we were up bright and early. I had set my alarm for 6 since I had to shower and do my hair. The kids were up shortly after. They were excited about their toys! I think they really loved their Toy Story stuff best. We got dressed and went over to my parent's house for Christmas with them. Again another fun tradition. I know people love to stay home on Christmas but honestly I kind of like that we have a reason to dress up and go somewhere. We had breakfast then opened  gifts over there. We did some more remembering and just visiting. I am so thankful we have family close by that we can make this happen. A new tradition added to this year was lunch at Randall and Elizabeth's house. We used to all do Christmas lunch with them and her family but since having kids we really haven't done it but a couple of times since they all usually go to the northshore. It was fun being at their house though and having that extended time together. The kids did really well and I think enjoyed themselves too! We had a yummy lunch of gumbo, salad, and dressing! By mid-afternoon we knew it was time to get the kids home. It had been a busy day and they were anxious to get home to their own toys. We got home and were able to relax for awhile. We took the kids on a walk and just enjoyed the rest of the day at home.
I cannot believe Christmas is over! Each year gets more fun! I cannot believe how fast they are growing up though! At 7 and 4 I just cannot believe how quickly time is going!! So thankful for this Christmas season though and that they are learning the true reason for it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment