Friday, September 23, 2016

Weekending and The Diagnosis

So this past weekend was quite an emotional whirlwind. It began on Friday with learning that Austin's dad had to go back to the ER...it was now the 2nd time in a week. He had been having severe hip and back pain. They also learned that morning that he had cancer in his bones. It was emotional just learning of all this. That day I also kept Lindsay home from school. She woke up that morning and I just knew she had a stomach bug. She woke up saying her tummy hurt and didn't want to eat breakfast. It was very unlike her...she also seemed pale. I quickly called my parents and decided it would be best for them to bring Colby b/c I was worried about her puking in the car. He got off to school and almost immediately she started feeling better. I decided it was a combo of her being tired (after said busy week), a little allergy cold, and truly just wanting a day home with mom. She's gone really strong this first month of school. She's gone 5 days a week full days for a month! I think her body just told her she needed to press the pause button. I was honestly ok with it too. Last year I used to keep her home once a week and I always treasured those fun days with her. After getting some stuff done around the house and realizing she wasn't really "sick" after all we decided to go to Barnes and Noble. I needed to get a couple books and I figured it would be a fun outting for us. She loved it!! She picked out a couple books and was happy as a little lark. That afternoon we just hung out until time to go get Colby. We picked up Colby and his best friend Nijel. It was fun having them here to play! They were both super good too. I ordered pizzas for them and they just played for a couple hours. His mom picked him up about 6:30. From there we got the kids ready for bed and movie night. We watched Beethoven 2 that evening. 
Saturday we had a low key morning which was nice! It was needed! Late that morning my parents picked up Colby to bring him to Hattiesburg for the game. After they left I brought Lindsay to Target. We shopped then picked up lunch and hung out that afternoon. I missed my boys b/c Austin also took off to Hattiesburg that morning as well. The trip was actually scheduled before we knew his dad would be sick. He left earlier though to go be with his family. His sisters were there and his parents and with knowing his dad might not be around much longer they basically had a family meeting. My parents took care of Colby but they did bring him over there and he got to play with Shelbi and Maggie some. That evening they went to the ball game. It was a long night from what I hear. From a rain delay to the fact they lost. They ended up leaving before the game was even over. I was thankful for a quiet day and really I think I needed it. I missed them though so so much. 
Sunday it was off to church. We had 8 kids and ended with 6 b/c 2 left early. It was a hectic morning and I really felt like I was in another time zone the whole morning. I tried to focus and be present with the kids but it was so hard. Well first of all I knew Austin was going to be driving back from Hattiesburg that morning. He had to go into work for awhile. We weren't sure what time he would get home. Well around 9:30 he arrived to church. I could tell quickly that things weren't right. He was very distracted...he told me briefly that things were bad with his dad and he was going back to the ER. We couldn't really discuss it b/c I was teaching obviously. Well about the time it was almost time to go he stepped out to take a phone call. Honestly I didn't know he was talking to. He had mentioned ordering lunch for us so I thought he was out there doing that or even talking to someone at work. I looked out the window though and my heart sank when I could tell that's not what was going on at all. Turns out his dad had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital b/c he was no longer mobile. Austin knew at that moment he had to go back to Hattiesburg. My heart sank again...I knew he needed to do that but also I really wanted him home with us. He had just been gone basically all weekend. We had planned to go to Lindsay's dance class and he and Colby do something special. Well we all gathered ourself and decided to leave pretty abruptly. We got home and I made Austin chill out for about an hour. We ate and just took a few minutes as a family to stop, think, and pray. I knew he needed to stop even just for a short time. I think he was thankful for that! 
He left after lunch to go to Hattiesburg. I skipped Lindsay's dance class. I hated to do it b/c I knew she had looked forward to it but I knew right now we needed to be at home. Going to dance class for 2 hours just seemed so trivial and that it would cause extra stress. The kids and I had a very low key afternoon and night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment