Monday, February 27, 2017

Reading and more Reading

This is a fun week for the kids. They are having "Read Week". They do this every year to coincide with Dr. Seuss' B-day and Read Across America. Colby doesn't have homework all week and no tests. Basically they are just emphasizing reading for fun which I think is a great idea. It also helps since its Mardi Gras season and there is a lot of parading and the kids get out of school on Friday. 
So Monday was pretty routine for us...Austin was off so he stayed home that morning and did some stuff around the house while I went to the grocery store. I then came home and put all that away and he and I went to Lowe's and Petsmart then to Chili's for lunch. It was nice to have that time just he and I. I have been missing our dates lately. That afternoon he left to go to Hattiesburg to spend time with his mom. I was just planning a quiet night in with the kids. My mom read to Lindsay's class that afternoon so I think she really enjoyed that. 
Tuesday was a pretty busy day for me. I had bible study. Its always great to go there and get refreshed. The rest of the day ended up being pretty low key though. Austin got in around 1:30 and he and I went together to pick up the kids. Colby was supposed to have kickball but it got cancelled due to all the rain we had the night before. I was a little bummed though b/c it would have been fun to watch him as a family...plus the weather was gorgeous. I think the Lord knew though we needed a slow paced night. It was nice coming in and the kids getting to play and us cooking dinner together. 
Wednesday was another full day for me. After dropping the kids off at the school I had to run a few errands. After the errands I came home briefly then went back up to the school to read to the kindergarten class. I really enjoyed it even though it was super short. I miss the "classroom" on occasion. I hope that maybe one day I can sub up there. This year my schedule has just been too busy though. So I came home and had lunch and enjoyed a few quiet hours before the kids got home. That evening we had church. I had 5 kids that night. They were all pretty much younger though so I felt bad for Lindsay. Austin ended up bringing home early b/c she was "bored". We had a fun evening though. One little girl though was completely exhausting though. It seems like there is always that one...sigh. 
Thursday was my music day. I really do enjoy it though. The kids all seemed to really be into it and it went well. I am always exhausted though after. I was thankful though that we didn't have any after school activities so we were able to just have a night at home. 
Friday was Dr. Seuss Day for the kids. I love how the whole week was geared towards reading and then it culminates on Friday with a big celebration. I usually do help out with this day. I did when Colby was in kinder and in 2nd grade. I've always just been an assistant b/c trying to plan and run an activity just seemed like too much. So this year I was assigned to help Audra Love with her activity. We read "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back". She had planned a little activity also for the kids afterwards. The first group we had was 5th and 6th. They really liked the cup stacking. The next group was 3rd and 4th. I read the book for them. I enjoyed seeing Colby's class since I know all of them. Our next rotation was 7th and I think they were the rowdiest bunch. I am sure they were bored out of their mind. The next one was prek and kinder. Once again I read and I was happy to see Lindsay and her group. She seemed to be having a blast at her first Dr. Seuss Day. The last group we saw was 1st and 2nd. They were cute and really seemed to enjoy it as well! After we cleaned up from the activity I went downstairs and Colby was having lunch. I decided I would stay and eat with him. They were having gumbo so I figured why not? It was yummy and I enjoyed talking with him and his friends. Ella was also celebrating her birthday so it was fun to be there for that as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment