Friday, July 7, 2017

4th of July Week

Well it was nice having Austin off for 3 days around the 4th. He was off Monday. Ofcourse Monday though is my grocery shopping day. I got ready and went and did that by myself while he took the kids on a few more exciting errands. I was kinda glad to go alone and finish up more quickly. Anyway once we all got home it was about lunch time. We ate lunch and then rested a bit before getting into our swim suits and heading over to my parent's house to swim. I was so anxious to get in the pool. It had probably been over a week since the last time. Austin was also going to mow my parent's yard. Since my dad had surgery on Friday he can't do it right now. We thought it would work out perfect for him to mow and us swim then he could join us. We ended up swimming for probably over 2 hours. It felt so good and was so fun hanging out as a family. My poor dad though I know he must have wanted to get in. We came home so we could cook dinner here. After dinner the kids played outside some while we cleaned up.
Tuesday was the 4th. It was nice to once again kinda sleep in as a family and not have anywhere to rush off to. Austin made a big breakfast of waffles and sausage. We ate and got some house stuff done. I also had to make potato salad for our lunch at my parent's house. We got over to their house around 11:30 or so. We weren't in a major rush since we had swam the day before. Plus as soon as we were all ready to leave there was a major downpour at our house. We got there though in plenty of time to visit while my mom finished up the lunch preparations. It was a quiet 4th this year. Just us and my parents. We enjoyed the time with them though. After lunch we all went outside and my mom, Austin, and the kids went swimming. I stayed out this time and visited with my dad. They swam for about 30 min then we all came in and had dessert. That afternoon we got home about 3 and we mostly just hung out. austin and Colby did end up taking a long bike ride while Lindsay and I stayed here. I just sat out and read my book. It was over 100 degrees so I didn't really feel like riding my bike. After that we came in and all heated up various leftovers to have for dinner. After dinner we all decided to get out for a walk. Even though it was hot it felt good to get out like that. We didn't do any fireworks this year. Its always so late to actually go see any and then for whatever reason we didn't get around to buying any this year. We did get to see some from within our neighborhood though so that was cool.
Wednesday it was back to work for Austin. The kids and I slept in and I sorta debated on what to do with them that day. I wanted to take them to City Park for beignets and to play on the playground..that's one of our summer bucket list items but we got a late start and with church that night I just really didn't want to go that far. We ended up instead just running some errands close to home. We went to the library first...Colby is flying through books and I really hate to buy a bunch. Also Lindsay loves checking out books at the library so I am happy to oblige. After that we went on to Party City to buy some supplies for Colby's sleep over with Nijel. We decided to not have a big party this year. We had first thought of having a big party at the trampoline park but it cost so much money and I just didn't feel like the stress honestly and Colby came to me asking if he could have a friend sleep over for his birthday. I asked him if he would be willing to skip having a party and do that instead and he was all for it. Anyway I thought it would be fun to let him pick out some plates, napkins, and such for the day. He picked Hot Wheels again which was fine with me. He's not really into any characters anymore. After that we just had to run into the bank then we came home and had lunch. Our afternoon was pretty low key. I did have them work on some school stuff. Lindsay mostly just practicing her lower case letters and Colby is working on different types of sentences. I feel like he knows it but its nice to review before 4th grade. That night we had church. I think we all enjoy it more during the summer b/c they don't see their friends as often and we have pretty low key days so they aren't as tired. Anyway we ate up there. The kids are always happy to eat and visit with Ella and Eli. Again I was upstairs for Jumpstart with the kids. I was asked this week to teach the kinder-2nd grade girls. Kristen had to teach the older girls. I have to say I loved it! We had 6 girls and all but 2 I had taught before. I just absolutely adored them. They listened and were so sweet! I really didn't have plans to follow Lindsay upstairs but I feel this is where I need to be for now. We did the story of Abraham. I was excited b/c I had a kids Bible that went through the whole story so I think it helped them by seeing pictures and hearing it in the whole context. We also sang Father Abraham then made "promise books." It was a fun night. I also enjoyed the large group time though and seeing all the kids. Poor Colby really didn't have any friends there. I mean he and Ella both seemed like lost gooses. He did talk to her some and even Makyrin but a lot of the boys play soccer during free time and that's not his thing. His 2 closest buddies weren't there. I am hoping that with seeing his best friends less that he will start to expand his friendships to some of the other boys. 
Thursday was a good day. My parents had promised Colby an outing before his birthday. They picked him up around 10:30 and took him shopping, out to lunch, then to their house to play for a bit. While they had him out I knew it was only fair that Lindsay and I do something special for her. City Park playground and beignets was something on our list. It was also something that I knew she would probably enjoy more then him. We ended up meeting our friends Ashleigh and Makylee there. She and I first went and had beignets. Oh how this girl loves beignets! She truly is a NOLA girl. She asks for them about every 4-6 months. We don't get them often but she and I usually find time to sneak away and get them. Anyway after enjoying our mid-morning snack we went to play on the playground with our friends. It was really hot but we still managed to have about 45 min of fun. The girls mostly enjoyed climbing in the oak trees and following the ducks/geese around. The play area was honestly too hot to play on. Once we got home it was lunch time then she and I had some downtime before Colby got home. My parents dropped him off about 3 and they stayed awhile to visit. That afternoon was busy with keeping the kids occupied and cooking dinner. 
It's been a great week though and I cannot believe here we are winding down another week of summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment