Saturday, July 15, 2017

Camp Week

So this week Colby is attending Camp at our church. This is the first year they have done something like this. Its camp for one week 8-4 for kinder-5th grade. they have to have completed kinder though so Lindsay wasn't eligible. I am personally not a big send your kids to camp for the summer kind of parent but I am ok with 1 week out of the year. I mean counting VBS they have only had 2 structured weeks this summer. I knew it would be good for Colby and it would be nice to be around friends his age and to do some cool stuff. Most of their friends unfortunately are in camps this summer which kinda sucks. 
Anyway it was kind of a shock to our system though to wake up early! I had to wake at up 5:40 and I woke the kids up at 6:40. We did good though I had him up there a few minutes before 8. Honestly it felt kinda good to be out that early. This summer has been lovely sleeping in but I couldn't do it year round. It takes us forever to get out the house those days. Lately we have been almost 10:30 or 11 before we can even make it out the house to go somewhere. Lindsay and I had to grocery shop this am. It was so nice to be there early. I felt bad that I didn't have anything planned for her today but it was kinda nice to have a quiet day at home with her. She played really well by herself all day though. When it was time to go pick him up though it came quite the storm. I had to also drop Lindsay off at my parent's house for her time to spend the night. They both actually spent the night together a few weeks ago but now they want individual turns and my parents figured with him in camp this was a good week to do it. So by the time I got to the church it was storming! Luckily Stephen was kind enough to walk Colby out with an umbrella and I didn't even have to get out in it. Once we got home it was so quiet just he and I. We relaxed then I cooked dinner. We both ate before Austin got home. Once Austin got in the 3 of us spent some time on the patio just enjoying the rainy evening. It was nice to have my 2 boys here. It was amazing how quiet it was without little sis! He even got to stay up a little later and watch a tv show with dad. 
So onto Tuesday which was a pretty busy day. First of all I had to get Colby to camp by 8. After that I had extra time to get coffee before Book Club started. This summer I've only been able to attend one other session. I was glad to get back to my time with the ladies. It was nice to have that me time and time away from the crazy of life. We had a really good turn out too. So after that my parents brought Lindsay up to the church so she and I could rush off and meet a friend for lunch at Chickfila. Ofcourse in the midst of that another big down pour came. So she and I made it and we enjoyed our lunch with Brittany. Once we got home she just wanted to relax and watch Nick Jr. I was ok with that b/c I wanted to relax too haha! That afternoon we picked up Colby and came home to have a nice night in. The kids were both tired and cranky though and I knew an early bedtime was in order. We had an easy dinner of mac n cheese and hot dogs. We were able to get outside as a family for a little while though even though it was raining. 
Wednesday was another camp day of course. It was a free morning for Lindsay and I. We had tried to get up with several friends to meet us at a park early but everyone was busy. I hate that about life now...seems like people are just always in a rush or have their kids signed up for some much stuff that they never have time to just hang out and play. Anyway we had the park to ourselves which is also another sad thing about society. I mean I know it was early but its the coolest part of the day. Oh well she and I still enjoyed the outing. She got bored with not having any playmates but we played counting and listening games while we were out there just enjoying the outdoors. By 9 she was done and so we went on to Hobby Lobby. That was all our errands so I guess we will spend the day at home. Luckily she likes staying home so its been nice to have these quiet days with just her at home. We will stay in until church tonight. My parents are going to get Colby from camp then meet us back at church for dinner at 5. Church was good. Even though I felt we were all dragging it felt so good to be there. From the moment we were getting our plates from dinner until the end it was just an awesome night. Its such a blessing to be a part of a bigger family. Lindsay was totally in her element ...surrounded by friends. She had 3 other besties there and just had a blast. I feel bad for Colby this summer b/c he hasn't had a really close friend come on Wednesday nights. So at times he almost seems lost. He never complains though and is always in great spirits and acts like he has fun though. I really wish he would get to know some of the other boys but maybe that will come in time. A couple of them like to play soccer all night and that's just not Colby's thing. 
Anyway helping out upstairs has been such a blessing. I have already been blessed so much just in the last 3 weeks! I have loved getting to spend time with the older kids. Also I just love the workers up there. Its such a different atmosphere. Last night I laughed and smiled more then I had in a long time when it came to serving. I also love teaching the younger girls. I really hadn't planned to follow Lindsay but I love this group of girls. All but 1 of them I had taught before so I feel like I really know them and can relate to them. I look forward to spending more time with them over the next few months. So when we got home Austin was out of town so I had to do the whole evening routine alone and at 8 at night. I was so exhausted but the kids were great and very helpful. I got them to bed about 9 and I was in bed by 11. 
Thursday another busy day. I had a hair appointment scheduled so after dropping Colby off at camp I dropped Lindsay off at my parent's house. I know it seems like they have seen or been with my parents a lot lately but its summer time and I know both parties love it! Plus school will be starting oh so soon and they will go back to only seeing them a couple times a week for short periods. Anyway I had my appointment at 10:30 so I had about an hour and a half to come home to a quiet house. I must admit it was quite nice. I mean I love having my kids home but I do also miss that alone time. After my appointment I met my parents to get Lindsay and she and I came home to rest and eat lunch. We had to get back out to pick up Colby. With Austin out of town we were later eating dinner b/c he didn't get home until about 5:30 and then we had to cook. After that it was get the kids cleaned up and off to bed. They have been falling asleep so easily with these early morning wake ups! 
Friday was a camp day but it was nice to finally have Austin home for our little routine. He was able to stay home with Lindsay while I brought Colby to camp which was nice b/c it allowed her to sleep in a little later. I brought him and then came back home. We got a few things done around the house then we went to the mall to look around. Lindsay loves going out to Lakeside. I try to go every few months with her although I honestly think the last time we were there was before Christmas. We don't go to malls very often. Plus now Colby isn't really as entertained with the whole scene like she is. Plus I figured it would be a good opportunity for her to pick out a small b-day gift for him as well. She picked out a couple new cars from the CARS 3 movie for him. We got home and just rested and hung out until he got home from camp. It was fun spending time with our little girl though. I think we both realize now with her going into kinder these days will be rare! 

No comments:

Post a Comment