Friday, November 16, 2012

Daddy Days and Stomach Bug










Well this week began great! Austin had 3 days off but now the week is ending with a terrible stomach bug!
I'll start with the good stuff! Since Austin was off Monday we all brought Colby to school then Austin, Lindsay, and I made a stop at a prospective school for next year. It is one of the ones high on our list. We liked what we saw. We didn't get a tour but I hear its a great school and its small which is good b/c that is what he's used to. After stopping at the school we went ahead and knocked out the grocery shopping for the week. My week was jam packed so that was the only opportunity to get it done! Afterwards we came home to relax for awhile. After Colby got home from school we enjoyed some family time together. We cooked dinner and took a walk as a family. My new goal is to start running! I am finally jumping on that bandwagon. We walked as a family of 4 then Colby and I went around again. He rode his bike while I jogged along side him. I really enjoyed that one on one time with him.
Tuesday Austin was off again. I already had Bible Study planned and my parents were going to take care of the kids that morning so we went ahead with those plans. This way Austin could have some much needed time to himself and time to work in the yard. On the way to my parent's house though Lindsay puked all over herself. I wasn't sure at the moment if it was a bug or a fluke. She seemed fine. I felt guilty leaving her with my parents in that condition but I had no idea or clue she was feeling sick. She ended up being fine while she was at their house. I think she slept but otherwise acted fine. I brought her home after Bible Study. She seemed a little off the rest of the day...she had diarrhea that evening so I really began to question if she had a stomach bug? We had a good afternoon. Austin and I were able to have lunch outside with Colby that afternoon. Later that evening he and Austin also roasted marshmellows on the firepit! I loved watching daddy and son have that bonding experience!
Wednesday with Austin being off again we planned a little family day. Now that Colby is in school 5 days a week it seems like we don't get to go off and do fun stuff as much! Plus when we do go we usually leave Lindsay at my parent's. I felt like we needed a fun family day! We decided on City Park. It was summer since we had last been. Lindsay has never been. Even though she's not walking we figured she would enjoy all the sights from the stroller. Also God's timing is truly amazing. We had no idea a day later how sick Colby would be. I am thankful he did not spread his germs Wednesday at school b/c chances are he would have had we sent him to school. We had planned on mainly doing Storyland at City Park b/c that is what Colby enjoys most but ofcourse it was closed! He was sad but we still had fun. We instead went to the playground. It had been forever since we had done that! We were remembering back to pictures we had of him at Lindsay's age there. He ran around and got some good excercise! Afterwards we walked around the rest of the park area. We decided to check out the Sculpture Garden and Botanical Garden. Both were so beautiful! I had never been to the Sculpture Garden before and the only time I had been to the Botanical Garden is at night for Christmas in the Oaks. It was nice to enjoy them at a non-crowded time! It was nice just having a beautiful day outside with my family. After the park we went to McAlister's for lunch before heading home! It was a great day! Little did we know what we would be in for that night! That afternoon we also had a meeting with our photographer about our upcoming photo session. He came to meet the kids and get a feel for their personalities and what we were expecting from the photo shoot. Neither kid was shy they talked and laughed and showed off! Well that night was a rough one. At this point we still new Lindsay had a bug b/c of her diarrhea she went like 10 times that day but we still didn't think much of it. Well around midnight Colby came crying into our room and he had thrown up all in his bed. Poor guy! So basically every hour from then on he puked. I felt so bad for him. We were all so tired!
Well since Colby was sick all night school was obviously out for him Thursday. I hated to see him miss another day! That morning was rough. Between Lindsay pooping and Colby puking it was a hard morning on momma. Colby felt so bad all day! All he did was lay on the couch with his head in my lap! If anyone knows my child you know this is not like him AT ALL! He threw up around lunch then started running a fever. I knew this was not looking good. He hardly slept either. He woke up early that day and hardly took a nap. I think he was almost scared to sleep afraid he would throw up more. So finally that afternoon I saw improvement. He held down juice and a snack but still wasn't very peppy. Finally that evening Austin went to get chickfila and he ate 2 nuggets, 2 popsicles, and drank a sprite. That really perked him up before bedtime. Thankfully we all got a good nights sleep too!
Today (Friday) I had hoped to send him back to school for their Feast. I hated so bad for him to miss it! He has been out of school since noon on Tuesday and I know he misses his friends. Plus the Feast is adorable and this being his last year at AUMC I sure hated him to miss out! But I had to think what was best for him and what was best for the others. Even though he woke up this morning feeling better and hadn't had symptoms for almost 24 hours I knew it would be too soon. So we stayed in. In order to make up for that though I brought him and Lindsay to the park which was nice. We all needed some time away from the house and some sunshine. Yesterday was a yucky/depressing day! He was not 100% but I could tell he enjoyed getting out. His appetite is not fully back but he has eaten today and held in down so that's good! My parents met us at the park which was good to see them. Colby enjoyed that extra attention too!
I think now we are on the return to wellness so tomorrow we will resume our regular scheduled activites! Next on the list Thanksgiving Feast at MBC!
Update: The stomach bug was not finished at our house like I had thought/hoped! Last night around 10:30 Colby came out of his room crying and covered in puke! We were just about to go to bed! We had to bathe him, strip his bed, mop floors, vacuum floors. It was a fun time! Thankfully he did sleep all night. He woke up this morning we thought we were in the clear but he threw up again. So our plans for the Feast at MBC were obviously cancelled. I decided I was needed at home. Lindsay and I went to the grocery store instead. Colby was pretty pitiful all day. He was very weak and only wanted to lay on the couch. We finally got him to hold down gatorade and crackers. He perked up around 3 and played outside and started seeming like his regular self. He ate a dinner of grits and toast and seemed to feel good this evening! Now I am really hoping/praying we are done with this mess!
We now will miss church tomorrow as well. I feel like with him just being sick some today we don't need to go share our germs with the rest of the world. We may make a trip to Target to get supplies for Thanksgiving and hang out at home. Hopefully austin and I will get to go to lifegroup though! I will for sure miss being at church tomorrow though! But I am praying by Monday we can do something fun! I cancelled our family pictures Monday as well not knowing if he would be up to it. Hoping we soon get back to normal!

3 comments:

  1. Two thoughts:

    1- I am loving Colby's glasses. You need to spike his hair more and he'd look just like the kid from Jerry Maquire

    2- Lindsey seems like she has such a completely different personality from Colby. So interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now saw this! Yes Colby looks like that kid and the kid from a Christmas story! He gets called ralphie a lot! And yea Lindsay is soo different ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now saw this! Yes Colby looks like that kid and the kid from a Christmas story! He gets called ralphie a lot! And yea Lindsay is soo different ;)

    ReplyDelete