Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend/Start to Summer




Well we have officially kicked off summer in our house! Friday was Colby's first day of no school! My plan this year is to really get us out the house and enjoy many playdates and adventures! I knew since he was finishing up preschool I wanted his first summer day to be something he picked! I gave him the choice of the zoo or City Park. He chose City Park! That was fine b/c we haven't been since last fall.
Since Austin was working today we invited my parents with us. I probably could handle both kids now but they are still young to where I can use extra help. This way Colby can do what he wants and I can follow Lindsay around. Well we got there at 10 expecting Storyland to be open but it doesn't open until 11! We made the most of it though...I hated to not go b/c this happened one other time and Colby missed Storyland all together. So we took the kids to the playground. The kids had fun but the playground was so crowded! I have never seen so many kids out there in my life! I guess everyone had the same idea now that school is out! We played for about 30 min then we decided to go on a walk while we waited. We went over to the Sculpture Garden and found some shade. After walking through there it was almost time for Storyland to open. I was proud of how well the kids behaved. It was really hot and a long morning but neither really fussed at all. We finally got in Storyland at 11. Colby was so excited. My parents followed him around and I stayed with Lindsay. I think Colby mostly stayed on the firetruck. Lindsay just wanted to wander around. It was fun getting to see them having so much fun! We stayed about 40 minutes by then we were all so hot and tired I knew it was time to go home. We had planned lunch out but I knew if we did that Lindsay would be fussy plus she would probably fall asleep in the car. It worked out well coming home b/c the kids and I ate then we all took naps! So far I'm loving our summer schedule =) That afternoon we were lazy and just watched tv. I figure nothing wrong with that the first day of summer!
Saturday Austin was off. We were looking forward to a nice family day together. We decided after a relaxing morning we would take the kids to a park in Metairie. I know it sounds crazy to go that far but I enjoy taking them to different parks. They tend to get bored when we go to the same ones all the time. Plus I like to save the "close to home" adventures for days that daddy is working. The kids had a blast at the park. This was Lindsay's first time at this one...Colby hasn't been since he was 2. The weather was gorgeous and it was lovely just letting them run around and soak up the sunshine. Afterwards we ate lunch at McAlister's. We had a low key afternoon which was nice. We let the kids play outside in their pools and on the playground! They had a blast! So far I am loving summertime! I hope we can get them outside every day!
Sunday ofcourse was church. I was very excited this week to have Austin there with us plus I got to sit in church with him. I am enjoying working with the 4 and 5 year olds but I have to admit it was nice to go in church myself. Church service was really nice. Now that we are going to the 1st service we are home by 11. Its really nice to be home and have such a long afternoon. We ate and took naps. Austin decided to cook ribs that afternoon so we invited Mrs. Doris and my mom and dad over to eat with us. We had so much food plus we figured it would be neat to have them over to eat! I think we all enjoyed it! The kids also really enjoyed the attention from 5 adults! They also got to play outside before/after dinner. I am so glad they have gotten so much outdoor time lately! Makes for easy bedtimes!
Monday (Memorial Day) Austin was off again! We have so enjoyed him being home for 3 days straight! We had a relaxful morning again then got dressed and went to my parent's house. Each year we just go over there for a low key lunch and swimming. It was our first time in their pool this year. Well Colby has been swimming atleast once but not the rest of us. He's loving swimming but he needs to get his confidence back up on "actually" swimming. He will have swim lessons in a few weeks so I hope that helps him! Lindsay enjoyed the pool too but she tires out pretty quickly. We stayed out about an hour though. We ate lunch and enjoyed visiting then it was time to come home and put Lindsay down for her nap. We just enjoyed relaxing and hanging out this afternoon. Its been such a great weekend! So far summer is off to a great start! I am looking forward to this week with the kids! Maybe some park trips, the zoo, children's museum, and aquarium are all on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment