Sunday, April 20, 2014

Good Friday

So today is the official start of spring break around here! I have been so ready and excited for this to come! I feel like we have all been in need of a break and a slow down! We finally got here!
Anyway since today was the kid's first day off school I knew something fun was in order! We chose to do the aquarium. We picked this b/c 1) It had been awhile since we had been and 2) It was cloudy and overcast when we left so I wasn't sure it would be a good zoo day. I think it was my first time to bring both kids by myself. They are at great ages right now though to get out and do stuff! They were both very obedient and cooperative. I was a little concerned when we got there b/c there was a HUGE line outside the door but I guess it was partly b/c it was just opening. I knew it would be a little more crowded then we were used to though b/c of it being a holiday. It worked out ok though ...we went the opposite way through so most of the exhibits we enjoyed were really quiet. They both really got into this time. Colby was more interested in it then he usually is. It was fun to even "teach" him a few things as well. We were able to take our time and I mostly just followed the kids lead. We still finished up in about 45 min though. This was mostly due to the fact though that the exhibits towards the end were SO crowded we just breezed past. We did enjoy having a snack in front of the large aquarium with all the sharks. I think the kids enjoyed that as well. We even stopped outside and enjoyed the sights on the river for about 15 min. Again nice just to stop and really appreciate our great city!
That afternoon we rested up for the Good Friday service that evening. This was the 3rd Good Friday service we have attended at Calvary I think. This year they started with an interactive walk through of the Easter story. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it turned out it was really really good! We got there at 6 and they first let you go in this room with refreshments and chairs. It was a nice to just visit and enjoy a little snack. You then lined up in a group and took the tour. The actors/actresses did such a good job! It took you through the entire Easter story from Palm Sunday through Jesus rising from the dead. A lot of hard work went into it. I think the kids enjoyed it although a few scenes I think were almost too much for them. Not graphic just the actors really got into their part and it ws a little loud and maybe intense for a 2 and 5 year old. They did well though. Afterwards we had some time to let them just run around and enjoy the pretty weather outside before going into church. They offered childcare from kinder down but Colby wanted to go into big church so since he stayed with us we decided to let Lindsay go with us as well. Since she's been having such a hard time seperating from me I hated to send her in there alone plus with their probably being a lot of kids and she has had a small cold anyway. Well the kids did excellent in the service. It started at 7 and didn't end until about 8:45 but they both hung in their really well. Colby was tired though and got very upset/emotional during the taking of the Lord's Supper. We had explained it a little to him but I guess he still thought he might get to have a "snack" as he called it. He did a lot of crying/whining but all in all I think for 2 kids who don't sit in big church often they did really well! It was a late night so we came in and rushed them off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment