Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Colby's Birthday Weekend











It always seems like we end up celebrating kid's birthdays all weekend! So here is a rundown of this past weekend!
Friday morning the kids and I woke up and went over to my parent's house to work on making the cake for Colby's birthday. Yes MAKE the cake! First time I've ever made one of his cakes! But this year he asked my mom to do it! She made the cookie cake and I decorated it! And I was very proud of us both! It turned out so cute!
Afterwards we came home and ate lunch and rested and helped prepare the house for company. Austin's family came in Friday afternoon and we invited them over for dinner that evening. Colby and Lindsay love playing with their cousins so we figured it would be best to just eat here that way they could play more and we could visit more. They got here around 4:30. The kids played inside and had a lot of fun. We hated it rained all day so they couldn't get outside but I think they still had fun! We enjoyed visiting and everyone talked about their summer vacations! Its so neat to watch the cousins play together. They are now 10, 7, 6, and 2 so they are all growing up so fast!
Saturday morning we got up early and hit the ground running ready for the big party day! We went over to my parent's house around 9 so we could help get set up for the party. Austin's family got there right at 10 and the other guests were about 10:30. We had a smaller birthday crowd this year then in years past. We decided with the Texas trip and after having 3 years of big parties we thought we would do a low key one. We let Colby choose 2 friends in addition to family. He invited his friend Nijel who is also 6 and in school with him and his little sister Mia who is 2. He also invited his friend Ella. who is 6 and  he's known basically his whole life who goes to church and school with him. He also invited her younger brother Eli who is 4. And ofcourse Shelbi and Maggie! The kids all got in the pool first thing. We were nervous about the weather b/c it had been raining but luckily by the time of the party the weather cleared and they were able to swim for an hour. The kids all had a blast in the pool. They kept Austin and his dad quite busy. I stayed out and mostly visited and just made sure everyone had what they needed. Around 11:15 we corralled them all in to eat lunch. All the kids sat at the table in the kitchen and were so cute! Again I got to enjoy visiting with the other moms. I felt like this party was so much more low key...I don't know if its b/c we had less kids or b/c my kids are getting older and they don't require as much hands on. After eating the kids wanted to make their minions. I had found a cute little project involving yellow balloons. I think the kids all liked it and it took about 15-20 min for them all to finish. It was a nice little activity to keep the pace of the party. Afterwards they danced to a couple Despicable Me songs. The kids really loved that! We did cake afterwards and I was pleased that everyone loved our homemade cookie cake! This may be the new thing! The last activities were opening presents and doing the pinata. I think Colby had a blast! I really enjoyed watching him laugh and smile and play with his little friends! Lindsay even had the time of her life! She's been so sweet and good to not complain a bit about the attention her big brother is getting! Once everyone left and we cleaned up from the party we came home to rest/relax.
That night we went over to the hotel where Austin's parents were staying to order pizza so Colby and Lindsay could play and hang out with the girls a little more! It was fun just getting to spend a little bit more time with them. The kids had a blast the first hour but after pizza they were both getting obviously tired and cranky. We left around 7 to get them home and off to bed!
Sunday was church and Austin was home. I had to teach but we had a great morning! We had 7 littles. I was the only teacher so I was a little nervous how it would go but it actually went really well. That afternoon we came home and did our usual Sunday afternoon thing. We ate lunch and napped.
That evening we took a Family Date Night! I figure this will be one of many now that our kids are getting older and easier to do things with! We went to see PLANES Fire and Rescue! This would be Lindsay's 2nd movie experience. If you remember earlier in the summer I took them to see Wizard of Oz. They loved the movie and it was just a sweet little family night. I love the ages they are at right now and just want to soak up this precious childhood time with them!
I would say Colby had a great birthday weekend! He got to celebrate for 4 days! Lucky boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment