Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A New Week and New Challenges

So this week has been a little challenging to say the least. But I know there are always going to be weeks like that and I try to always look at them as "life learning curves". So Monday Austin was off work and the kids went to school. Lindsay woke up that morning feeling a little under the weather and complaining of a sore throat. She asked to stay home but I took her temp and she had no fever and I gave her IBP and cough medicine. She seemed to perk up a bit before school so I figured she would be ok. I figured it was all due to the surgery. I encouraged her to try and go to school but if she didn't feel good to tell her teacher and we would come get her. This year with her being in kinder her attendance is a lot more important and with her missing Friday I didn't want her to fall too behind. So I went on to the grocery while Austin worked and did things around the house. I got home and he and I got ready to head across the river to run an errand to the Scout store. Well as soon as we crossed the bridge the school called and said Lindsay was in the office saying she didn't feel good. So we quickly turned around and came home. I felt so bad for her. We picked her up and all came home and ate lunch. Although she first wanted to do her homework. Sweet thing! Even sick she wasn't going to miss that! We ate and then all rested. I think the downtime was good for her. That afternoon she and Austin worked in the office. Colby had a dentist appointment that afternoon so I picked him up from school and he stayed home with Lindsay. 
Well Colby has been so apprehensive about this dental visit b/c he currently had a loose tooth. He even cried before getting there. I had hoped he would suck it up and be ok with it. Well he did awful...he wasn't rambunctious but he basically wouldn't allow them to get the cleaning done. They finally pretty much gave up and told him to come back after the tooth fell out! I wasn't really mad at him bc I know he's not trying to be bad. He really has some anxiety about losing teeth. Anyway we got home and started the homework train. Once again it was a long and busy hour of doing homework. Austin thankfully was home and cooked for us so that helped the night go a little smoother. 
Tuesday Austin was home again. We were also under Tropical Storm conditions, flood warnings, and tornado warnings. The kids still had school though. The weather was bad when I took them and I was worried I should have kept them in but it cleared up by 9 and was fine the rest of the day. Austin and I had a nice low key day at home. We worked in Lindsay's room most of the morning so it felt good to get that accomplished. We had lunch here and just enjoyed our downtime. We rode together to pick them up that afternoon. We once again did the homework and all. It wasn't as terrible and Austin left for his Men's Group. The kids and I took a walk and enjoyed a quiet night. I think it helped all of our spirits. 
Wednesday Austin was back at work. So all week Lindsay had started with a sore throat and hoarseness but I chalked it up to being from the tube in her throat for surgery. Well by Wednesday morning it was a full blown cough. She didn't seem to feel bad though I sent her off to school. Colby woke up super agitated with his loose tooth and wouldn't eat or drink anything for breakfast. I had breakfast with a friend and felt it would be a pretty good day overall. Little did I know! I had breakfast with a friend that morning and then went to shop at Hobby Lobby. I enjoyed the longer afternoon since my parents picked the kids up at school. Well all HELL broke loose when the kids got home. Colby was still upset about his tooth and had basically not eaten or drank anything all day! I ended up telling him to sit his butt down and pull the tooth or I was going to do it! Well he got it out thankfully. Well then he had homework to do. We had planned on just going up to church for dinner and coming out but due to Lindsay's bad coughing and Colby's bad attitude we opted to stay in. We completed Colby's homework in about an hour then I took them to pick up food for dinner. The night ended up not being so terrible after that. Our moods improved and we even took a walk. It felt good to just slow down and go to bed early that night. 
Thursday I had the morning to myself with no plans so I ended up going to Target. It was refreshing to shop by myself. I then came home and had the majority of the day home alone. I picked up the kids that afternoon and we of course went right to homework. They didn't have too much though which was a good thing. I cooked taco salad for dinner and Austin got home in time to eat with us. They had mentioned to me at carpool that Lindsay had complained about her stomach hurting and they were afraid it was the incision. I just keep wanting her to be back to normal. Its been so hard worrying about her all week. Even though deep down I know she's fine I feel like its just caused so much anxiety  b/c I have been told about 3 times about her having various "episodes" at school. 
Friday I had coffee plans with a friend. I was feeling very stressed and flustered with my kids so it was nice to just put a "pause" on life and have coffee with a friend. I met up with my friend Cindy. Once I got home I had to really get busy around the house. We were going out of town this weekend so I had to get everyone's suitcases out and packed. I got an email that morning from Colby's teacher saying he had "checked out" basically that day. He had failed a math test and wouldn't even try to re-take it. I know he's so burnt out and tired. I have been as well! School really is taking it out of us this year. I know we will get used to it and adjust but he's had so much work to do! I think his poor brain was on overload. I really couldn't be upset with him. Right now he has a D in math. He's doing well in all the other subjects. I feel confident he can pull it up. He used to do really well in math but starting in 2nd grade it began to be a struggle for him. This is why I make him do some extra work in the summer. That afternoon I had him come home and work on some math review. It was simple but I want to start with some easy stuff for him to re-gain his confidence. Anyway a long weekend away will be good for us all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment