Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hurricane Isaac

Wow well we just got home from a 7 day Hurrication! This week Hurricane Isaac hit New Orleans and we have been evacuted. I will give a run down of what our week consisted of!
Last Sunday we went to church like a normal day. We were watching this storm and reports were starting to show that it was headed for NOLA. That night the news sounded even worse. They were saying a CAT 2 could hit us straight on. We decided that night that we would leave. I didn't want to take the chance of being here stranded with 2 little ones. We woke up around 4 am and started packing everyone.
Monday we were packed and ready to head out around 9 am. Austin had to stay behind and work that day but would come up later that night. I drove the kids and cats up to Hattiesburg. Once we arrived around lunch we spent the afternoon unpacking and organizing. That night my parents and the kids and I went to dinner. It was a VERY tiring day! Austin's parents stopped by to see us at the apartment for a short time. My dad also took Colby swimming twice that day so that was good for him. I think everyone was exhausted though. Austin got in around 9. We all went to bed early!
Tuesday we mainly hung around the apartment as the bad weather rolled through. We got up that morning and ate breakfast with Austin's parent's. It was nice to get out of the apartment. Colby enjoyed his time playing over there. Austin and I and Lindsay went to Target to stock up on a few items before the weather got bad up there. We all went back to the apartment and just chilled the rest of the day. Colby was already getting MAJOR cabin fever. That night Austin and I were able to get out which I think saved our sanity. We had an early dinner with our family then that evening we went to get desserts at O'Charley's and we drove around. It was nice just to get out! We also went to Walmart to get Colby some coloring books.
Wednesday we knew we needed to get Colby out of the apartment and that he needed some time with mommy and daddy. By this point he had 2 days with 4 grandparents and he was beginning to act rotten! We took him to a Bounce place that was close by. I was so glad we did. It was not only great for him to get out it was great for us too. We stayed 2 hours! He had the best time running around and playing with other kids. After we stopped for hamburgers before going back to the apartment. That evening we just hung out and had sandwhiches for dinner. Austin and I were able to get out again that night which was nice. We ended up going to McDonald's and just having a dessert and talking. I really enjoyed those nights getting out. We don't ever get to do that when we normally go to Hattiesburg b/c we have the kids and we can't leave them but having grandparents to watch them after they go to bed is a wonderful thing!
Thursday Colby wanted to go back to the Bounce place. So that is what we did! We thought Austin would have to go into work that day but he got about 20 minutes down the road and was turned around! We were happy to have another day with him! We didn't stay quite as long...there weren't many kids when we first got there so he kept getting bored. Finally more kids showed up around the time we were ready to go then ofcourse he didn't want to leave! We made a trip to the grocery b/c we weren't sure how long we would be there at that point. We also took Colby out again for lunch. It was nice having that bonding time with him. I think it helped keep him a little grounded too to just hang out with mom and dad for a couple hours. We rested that afternoon at the apartment. After Colby rested Austin took him over to his parent's house to play. Honestly it was good having him out and about for awhile. It gave my parents and I a break and more time to just play with Lindsay. Austin, Colby, and his parents returned later that evening to eat dinner with us. After we got the kids ready for bed Austin and I once again got out! I loved our mini dates! We went to Old Navy and Books a Million. It was nice to just shop and get out and kind of forget the whole situation we were in!
Friday Austin finally had to head back into work! I was not looking forward to him leaving us after having his help but I understood he needed to get back. We ended up having an ok day. Nerves and patience were getting thin and their were a few squabbles but nothing major. That morning we decided to go to the mall. We realized everyone needed to get out! It was the first time my parents and Lindsay really got out all week. So I think it was a welcome break for us all. There wasn't much to see or do in the mall so we just walked around. There were 2 sections with rides like Colby likes though so we let him get out and ride on those. He seemed to really enjoy that. Once we got home Austin's sister Wendi stopped by to see the kids. It was the first time that she was in town all week and could come see them. After her visit the kids ate lunch and we all rested. Austin's mom and sister came around 2 to pick Colby up to go visit with the girls when they got out of school. It was good for him to get to play with them and get out the apartment. Once again it gave my parents and I a chance to rest and play with Lindsay. That evening we met them over there for dinner and all ate together. We found out that afternoon that my parent's power was restored so we had decided to pack up and leave Saturday morning for home! I really missed having Austin there that evening but we still had a good night.
We got started early Saturday morning getting ready and packing! I think we were all ready to head back to NOLA! I was wishing we were heading home to our house but atleast we would be closer so when our power came on! The kids did great on the drive home! I was proud of them both! We got to my parent's house right at lunchtime. Everyone ate then it was naptime. We were all exhausted. Elizabeth and Randall were also staying there b/c they had no power. It was kinda fun like a holiday b/c we were all hanging out over there. Colby enjoyed the attention from his aunt and uncle. It was fun having them to visit with also. We all hung around that afternoon/evening. We turned in early to bed though I think everyone was soo tired! Colby and to sleep in the room on the floor with my parents and Austin and I shared a bedroom with Lindsay. Both our kids did well on this trip letting us sleep but it still was harder to rest having children in the room with us.
Sunday morning I was happy to see that it was church day! A little bit of normal! Our church still didn't have power but they were having a shorter service in the Fellowship Hall and no childcare. My parents decided to stay home and they kept Lindsay. They had worked so hard the day before and were so tired. They probably enjoyed the quiet house too since the rest of us went to church. I took Colby with me to church. I felt like it was important for him to plus it gave my parent's a break. He had them playing with him ALL week long. He did really well given the circumstances. He sat pretty still and quiet and actually even listened to the sermon. I know he was hot and bored but he stuck with it I was so proud of him. We had a great turn out and there were so many children in there! Made me excited to get things back to normal next week in our nursery! After church I figured I would take Colby to lunch. We ended up at our normal McAlister's. I really enjoyed some time alone with him and I think it did him some good too! Once we got home we all rested that afternoon. We hung out at my parent's house once again with Randall and Elizabeth. Elizabeth cooked us a yummy dinner and were sitting down to eat it. We kept checking to see if we had power. Austin had seen power trucks on our street early that morning and we really felt like it would happen before the day was over. We had made up our mind that if it was before 10 we would go ahead and go home even if the kids were in the bed. Sure enough Austin called our house right after dinner. Lindsay was already in the bed at this point. We went ahead and packed up the cars and then woke her up and loaded her in the van. Sweet thing never even fussed. She looked at me strange but that was it. We got home and put her in her bed and she fell right back to sleep. It was SO nice to get home! We had a lot to do that night but it felt so good to be back at our home. I know we have so much to be thankful for! So many lost so much and all we did was have to clean out our fridge/freezer! Honestly the week wasn't bad either. We had AC all week and got to create many memories with family! Hoping though we don't have to do it again anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment