Sunday, October 28, 2012

Open House and Trip to the Eye Doc

So the last 24 hours have been extremely busy for our household!
Thursday- Last night Colby's school had Open House. They do this each year. The parents and grandparents are invited to go to the child's class and see their artwork, enjoy a snack, and then the children perform. I have to say this year was even better then last year! Austin, myself, and my dad went. My mom stayed at home with Lindsay. I wish we could have brought her but the time was 6:30-7:30 and we would not get home until 8 and so she probably would have been fit to bed tied! Plus I wanted the focus on Colby not his screaming little sister!
We got there early so Colby was able to play on the playground with some of his little friends. We then went to his class and looked around at his artwork and classroom. I enjoyed seeing his art. Its always neat to see how he does things. The teacher had a craft for us to work on with him then they provided cookies and juice. Colby ofcourse loved that part! After a little while they asked the parents to go into the church. The kids came in a little later. They performed their little songs on stage! I was so proud of Colby! He actually SANG! This is the first time at any event like that he has actually sang and did MOST of the hand motions! After their songs they showed a slide show of the kids from the first few weeks of school. Its always neat getting that little glimpse into his school day! I think Colby enjoyed his big night and was probably glad little sister wasn't there! I feel like gets told not now a lot or I'm busy so its nice to devote a night to him!
Friday- was quite a busy day for me! I had to bring Colby to school then picked him up at noon. Its rare that I do that...luckily my parents usually pick him up which is nice. Its just hard getting Lindsay out like that twice in 3 hours. He had his eye doc appointment in Algiers so I just picked him up then we stopped at my parent's house to eat lunch plus they were going to keep Lindsay. It was nice having lunch with them. We did that a lot during the summer and on Saturdays last year but haven't had as much time to do it lately b/c of his school 5 days a week and Saturdays if we don't have plans I usually just want to stay home. After lunch we had the dreaded eye appointment. The reason we set this up is about a month ago his teacher asked us if he had eye problems. She said that during circle time he is always asking to see things closer. I honestly had never noticed a problem but after her mentioning that I started being paranoid thinking he couldn't see all the time. Well during our cruise I didn't think much about it and he seemed like he could see. He sometimes can't see things that we point to him at a distance but I figure that's hard for any kid his age. Well we made this appointment anyway before we left just thinking since it was brought up and he wouldn't cooperate last year for the vision screening at church maybe we should get it checked. Well I hate doc appointments...especially when we have to wait FOREVER! Friday we were there for 2 hours...basically all we got out of it is your child has major issues and can't see! Well I don't buy that b/c he can see. They did mention the word hyperopia. This could mean he's extremely near or farsighted. I could maybe see this being true but the doc just didn't do a good job explaining things to us. Well it ends up he referred us to children's. I was really scared at first but after talking with some friends I feel better. I also did some research on my own. It seems like this stuff is pretty common. He may have to get glasses but hopefully it would be temporary. It hit me like a ton of bricks! No one ever wants something to be wrong with their child. I at that moment wanted to take away any problem he had and have it for myself. Thankfully after talking with friends I felt better. We are anxious to take him to his follow up appointment at Children's and find out what really is wrong. I know its in God's hands though and it will be used for his glory. Thankfully our weekend got better from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment