Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Family Picnic & Weekend

Thursday Colby had a picnic at school. This was just his class. After school that day Mrs. Susan had told the parents to meet the kids on the playground at 12:10. We were told to bring lunches and blankets. It was so adorable! I thought it might be the whole school but it was neat that it was just his class. She had nametags for everyone. It was nice putting names & faces together. I knew most of his class from last year but it seems they have several new kids. Some kids moved away and others I am sure went to prek4 at bigger schools. His class has about 12 kids in it I think. We sat near his friends Christopher, Giovani, and Boston. It was neat seeing him in a  school setting with his friends. It was just Colby and I. Austin couldn't leave work and I didn't want to bring Lindsay if I was there alone. She would have been very hard to keep up with and I try to make Colby's school events about him. I knew she would take a lot of focus off him. He was adorable he's so confident and friendly at school. He is not that same shy little boy of 2-3 years ago! He walks around that school like a BMOC "Big Man on Campus" he knows everyone all the teachers all the kids and the parents. I am so thankful for another great teacher this year! We have been so blessed the last 3 years there. After everyone ate their lunches they got cookies. Apparently the class helped Mrs. Susan make cookies that morning. Ofcourse Colby and the other children LOVED this. After cookies she had them sing/do the hokey pokey for us. Adorable! Ofcourse my little man didn't participate! He never does...he will sing it at home but not at school! I met the infamous Sean and his parents. They were actually really sweet. Apparently Sean is autistic. He seems like a really sweet boy. He and Colby share the love of cars so they get along really well. His parents said he only ever speaks of Colby. I am glad Colby is friendly to everyone I hope he stays that way! After the picnic we went to pick Lindsay up. We came home to rest...I think we were all spent! Lindsay didn't really nap, Colby and I were exhausted from the heat. It was nice to come in and take a nap!
Friday Colby had school and Lindsay and I went grocery shopping. After shopping we came home to relax. Colby was going home with my parents that day. They miss him so much since he goes to school 5 days a week. I figure going home with them on Fridays may be our new tradition. I don't like him doing it so much in the middle of the week b/c he gets so tired but Friday its like a treat for the weekend. He stayed over there until about 5. I missed him but it was nice to have a quiet day with Lindsay.
Saturday has become our relax and stay in day! After a busy week of going places I just long to stay home! Its also nice to not wake up to an alarm which I now do ALL week! I knew we needed to get out and do something Saturday though even if it was a short time b/c Austin was going out of town and would not be home that night. We tossed around ideas of libraries and book stores but my friend Honey ended up calling and inviting us over. I was excited b/c Colby has not seen his friends Max and Isabella since July. I knew he would be so happy to see them. Plus they live in our neighborhood so it was an easy quick trip on a rainy day with 2 kids. We stayed about an hour and a half. The 3 big kids mainly played in Max's room. Lindsay was very good too and let Honey and I visit. It was good to catch up with her. We don't get to talk as much now since the boys are at different schools and life is so busy! Once we left their house we came home for lunch and naps! Even with Austin gone it ended up being a really good day! Colby didn't nap but we still had a good afternoon. We played inside and watched movies. That evening I even cooked chicken nuggets, green beans, and salad and we all 3 ate together! Now that the kids are older I didn't mind being alone with them so much! I tried to view it as a nice bonding time and not a burden. After dinner started the whole bathtime/bedtime routine. Well the kids played for about 45 min after dinner while I cleaned up then it was Lindsay's turn to get bathed and put to bed. I had her in bed by about 6:45. I let Colby watch a movie on tv until about 7:15 then it was his turn. Since he did not nap that day he needed an early bedtime as well. I actually had him tucked in bed by 7:45. I expected him to come out atleast once but nope he never did. He was so sweet and so tired! I couldn't believe though by 7:45 mommy duty was over. Now I could catch up on phone calls, emails, books, tune into the USM game, take a liesurely bath, whatever! So nice! I missed Austin being around but i have to say the quiet night actually wasn't bad! Both kids even slept ALL night which was great!
Sunday was church day. Its been strange getting into a "new routine". We used to always have to be out the house for 8:30 so a Sunday was basically like a "school day" for us. Now that we don't have to be at church until 10:30 and the church is like 10 min from our house we get to have a casual morning. Its been so nice! I am able to spend time cooking breakfast and slowly get the kids dressed. Colby was able to watch cartoons and Lindsay took a nap. Austin drove in from Hattiesburg too to meet us which was nice. We arrived at the same time. It was nice having him there this week to check the kids in. Colby was a little unsure but he seemed to do fine. Lindsay cried a little but I don't think it lasted long. We loved the worship service. Once we got out of church it was POURING! It was sorta hectic trying to pick up the kids and get to the vehicles. Austin was sweet though and got the van for Lindsay and I then he and Colby ran to the truck. They went to pick up burgers b/c it was so late when we got out of church we knew Lindsay wouldn't be able to handle eating out too. Like I say its taking some getting used to getting into a new routine but I like being closer to home. It was a nice afternoon just being together as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment