Saturday, February 2, 2013

Parent/Teacher Conference Day

Well today was my 2nd official parent/teacher conference. I am glad that they do this even in preschool to give parents a real sense of how their children are doing. The conference went well. His teacher had good things to say about him but was also honest about his weaknesses. I was glad to hear it all even though that is sometimes hard to hear. She said he's very friendly and outgoing. He speaks with confidence and gets along great with others. He's very patient with Sean who is autistic. She said there is definitely a difference now that he has glasses and how he partcipates in circle time. She said he isn't always excited about the art projects which surprises me b/c now at home he begs to do that type stuff. I figure though he would probably rather be playing. She said he sometimes lacks the confidence in himself to complete a project if he doesn't think he can do it. She said they are working with him on this and telling him he CAN do it. I see this at home sometimes too so this doesn't suprise me. She said that he does sometimes say "no" too and I guess they are strongly encouraging him against that. All in all I think he's a great kid who gets along with others and is smart but he can also be stubborn and mischievious but nothing major. She did suggest that we might want to hold him back and put him in half day kindergarten next year and give him another year to prepare for kindergarten. I totally respect her saying this and I did give it a lot of thought but I really feel a peace about going ahead with full day kindergarten.
Its been brought to my mind before about his late b-day and how he will always be one of the young kids. But so far Colby is super smart. He's on target for any 4 year old boy his age I think. He's also not a small kid. He is one of the biggest in his class...so if he were held back he would be a GIANT. He does not seem overally immature. He may be in some scenarios but what 4 1/2 year old boy isn't. I mean I am sure he will have to work hard at first in school but I think he can do it. I know his can do spirit and his stubborness will actually come in handy for this. His fine motor skills are just now really developing but he's getting SO much better with this. I have been worried all along about that and his writing. I have picked up the pace with helping him at home so I really think he will be fine. I am a former teacher and a stay at home mom so I feel like I can help him with anything he may need. Sending him to Calvary which is most likely where he is going to go I think he will be alright. Its a small enough school I think he will get one on one attention I also don't think it will be soo hard that he will get frustrated. But i think it will also challenge him. Anyway we are still praying about it but I feel a peace about going ahead and sending him to big boy school next year. Also Lindsay will be starting at AUMC next year in the 2 year old MDO class and I am just not sure it would be good for them to be together at school this young...they wouldn't really see each other but still I think this year is the best year for him to break away from that and now let Lindsay have her turn at the preschool. That will give him 3-4 years of getting settled in big school before Lindsay joins him. It will be good for them to have "their own" places! Plus it would be difficult for me time wise. It would be easy in the morning b/c they would both go at 9 but very hard in the afternoons b/c if Colby went to AUMC next year he would do lunch bunch M-Th well Lindsay would need to be picked up at noon so my days would be chaotic. Whereas if he goes to CAlvary next year we will drop him off at 8:30 then drop her off at 9. she will be picked up at noon and he will be picked up at 3:30. Much easier! That way it shouldn't interfere with her naptimes either! Anyway it was a great conference I am glad to have that insight into how he behaves at school. I can't believe the last 3 years have flown by and he only has a few months left there! I am looking forward to these last few months and seeing what all he learns though!

No comments:

Post a Comment