Tuesday, January 20, 2015

MLK Weekend

AHH so excited its the weekend AND its a LONG weekend at that!! Austin is off today so that makes this sunny Friday even better! After a week of really cold, rainy, and cloudy we got a beautiful day of full sun! And its in the 50s!! Anyway so to kick off the weekend I sent the kids off to school with kingcakes to share with their classes. Lindsay got the baby last Friday so we had to bring one and well...couldn't have little sis having all the fun. I contacted Colby's teacher to see if it would be ok for him to share one as well =) I think they will all enjoy that treat!
Since the kids were in school and Austin was going to be at home doing yard work I decided to go visit a friend. She has a 6 month old baby. It was fun just visiting with her and playing with her baby boy! He reminds me so much of Colby. Gave me baby fever all over again! Anyway it was a nice start to the weekend. Austin also gets to pick the kids up which gives me a little more free time at home which is lovely. We will also go out tonight which will be fun! We rarely go out on fridays. Usually its our night to stay in and watch movies but with Austin home and the kids having a long weekend I thought we should celebrate!
So Friday night was a lot of fun. We went over to a park in Metairie. The kids had such a great time running around and climbing! It was MUCH needed after such a cold, dreary week! We stayed about 45 minutes. There were tons of other kids as well. I guess a lot of parents had the same idea! It was nice going out on a Friday since we never do that! The kids are good ages now to where we don't have to rush home for early bedtimes! Afterwards we ate a dinner at Phil's Grill. It was yummy and the kids were really good. It was a little crazy at times but not nearly like a couple of years ago!
Saturday Austin was back to work. I still wanted to have fun with the kids. We decided on a Zoo trip. It had been a few months since we were able to go. And the weather was so beautiful after a week of yucky I felt like being outside was a must! My parents decided to go with us. Its always fun to have them on these trips. 1) Because they are a lot of help and 2) its just fun to have them along and get to experience these things with the kids
We really had no agenda at the zoo so I kinda let Colby call the shots. We saw the bear and tiger then he decided going to play on the playground was the next thing! Sure it was a pretty day I wasn't going to argue. They had fun just playing. Afterwards it was the carousel...again sure not going to fight it. As usual Lindsay freaked out. She stayed on her horse but she was crying and begging to get off! I am not sure this girl will ever enjoy a carousel! Then he wanted to ride the train. It was nice getting to see the zoo this way and relax. Afterwards we did the reptile house. The kids had fun. Then we just walked around the oaks some and made our way back to the front. We didn't get to see as much as we usually do but my goal was to be back for lunch and I still wanted some time around the house. We had a good afternoon just relaxing and hanging out.
Sunday we had church. It was my Sunday to teach. The kids were happy as always I think to see their friends. We had a huge class of about 13-14 children. It was QUITE busy! Although having that many kids they were all really well behaved. I am so happy to see so many preschoolers. I love when we have a full house! I also love having Lindsay with me and seeing her interact. After church we actually had to grocery shop....something we never do but it had to be done we were out of food and with the next day being a holiday I really didn't want to go then either! We got it done and were able to enjoy our Sunday afternoon just relaxing and playing!
Monday was MLK day! It was so nice to have a long weekend and an extra day to sleep in! We had a Cubscouts hike planned for that day! I love all the fun field trips Colby is getting to go on with the scouts! We met at the park at 10. My parents joined us since they know more about Brechtel then anyone and since they are right across the street. I think they enjoyed being included. The kids all did really well. It was the 3 boys and 2 of the sisters. I think Lindsay had fun but she was a little overwhelmed at times especially when walking through the woods. It was great just to see the boys enjoying nature and being outdoors. It made me realize what a jewel we have near our house and we need to take advantage! I think we will be going back more! We stayed about 2 hours. It was just a fun fun morning and the weather was awesome! Loving these 70 degree January days! After the hike Nijel's mom had so graciously invited all the kids back to her house. She invited Lindsay but I felt she was still too young to be gone that long plus she really needed to nap and I wanted Colby to have his fun with his friends. I think the boys had a great time! They stayed until 4. I enjoyed the quiet and time to relax. Although all hell broke loose after I picked him up. He was upset about leaving...honestly he was just tired and overwhelmed. He gets overstimulated and acts out like that when he hasn't had quiet time to himself. He acted crazy then crumpled up a leaf in my car! All sounds so silly now but I guess after a busy morning and being tired I blew my fuse on him and Lindsay. I feel bad now but it was just one of those moments he pushed me too far! Anyway we salvaged the night and went on to have a good evening. Austin worked late so the kids and I ate an early dinner and they just played. We read that night and I enjoyed learning about Dinosaurs with them. We are doing the Magic Treehouse books and I feel like Colby is learning so much science/history with them as well!
So thankful for the last 3 days to have with my littles! This week will be busy as we get back into routines and spring activities start up! We also are taking a trip to Hattiesburg over the weekend so there will be lots to post about soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment