Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Weekend Camping Trip

We just got back from our first ever weekend camping trip! We left Friday after the kids finished swim lessons. We were able to leave our house by about 1ish. We got to Hattiesburg and had to stop at the grocery then unload Lindsay and I's stuff at the apartment. Yes she and I stayed at the apartment. We weren't quite ready for a weekend in the woods just yet. We soon headed out to the campground. Lindsay and I went to hang out for awhile and eat dinner. We got there around 4 and they were starting to get ready for dinner. The kids enjoyed playing around the camper. They rode their bikes. Lindsay and I ate dinner with everyone and visited for awhile before heading back. We left around 6:30 b/c I wasn't too sure about driving all those country roads after dark. We got back to the apartment easily though. We got settled in and bathed then soon went to bed. Lindsay slept really good. I kept waking up just not used to having Austin around. From what I understand the boys had fun after we left. They went on a walk and even went swimming in the lake. I think they played hard and went to bed late. Austin said they had a hard time sleeping b/c it was hot. Luckily they did sleep until about 8 though. 
Lindsay and I also woke up around 8. We got dressed and packed up to head back out there. We had to stop at the grocery so we didn't get to the campground until after 9:30. We soon all ate breakfast. After eating Austin and I decided to take the kids down to the Splash Park to play while the sun was out. We stayed out there about an hour. We had Maggie, Colby, and Lindsay. They are 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 3 1/2. I felt like they were pretty self sufficient. I was able to just sit and relax. It was hot though. After an hour we drove back to the camper and got the kids cleaned up. The kids played for a bit but Austin and I decided to take Lindsay with us to go relax and cool off for awhile. We would have taken Colby too but he did not want to leave. We went to eat lunch at Sweet Peppers then back to the apartment to nap and cool down. I was thankful for the break. It was just so hot out there and honestly I am not a huge outdoor person so I was glad to get a break. From what I understand it rained a lot while we were gone so I think the kids did a lot of playing inside but they were able to get snowballs and go swim in the lake. We went back about 3ish. When we got back they were still swimming in the lake. That didn't last long though due to thunder. They got out and all enjoyed riding bikes and playing around the creek at the campground. It was really neat just letting them be free and be kids. Living in the city kids can't really roam like that so it was cool for Colby to get a taste of freedom. We had a delicious dinner and visited for awhile before all 4 of us retreated back to the apartment. Neither Austin or Colby slept very well the night before. Plus with us heading out early the next morning we felt it best for us all to wake up in the same spot. I think Colby was so tired he was ok with it. We drove back got the kids bathed and put them in bed. It did take awhile for them to settle down but once they did they were out. I think we all slept good! 
The next morning we wanted to make it special by stopping at Krispy Kreme for breakfast. This has sort of become a tradition. We don't even have one close to us and we don't get donuts too often so its a fun way to close out a trip! The kids loved it. Afterwards we stopped for blueberries before heading south. It was a fun weekend. We were all happy to get home though. It was a busy afternoon full of laundry and cleaning up. We are excited about beginning another summer week. Its week 2 of swim lessons so we will be pretty busy with that with hopefully some other fun stuff thrown in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment