Monday, August 28, 2017

School Life and Lessons

So this week we are well into the school routine now. Here's a run down of the 3rd week of school. 
Monday I went grocery shopping then pretty much had the rest of the day to myself at home which was lovely! I mean I like when Austin is home too but I have to admit it was nice having a quiet day here. I tried to be productive. That afternoon we hit the ground running with homework and dinner preparations. Austin got home early enough to eat with us then we took a walk. That always makes for a good night! 
Tuesday I was back to Bible Study. We had met the week before but this was our first week starting a lesson. I enjoyed being back with the ladies and in the Word. We have had a good group so far and a lot of my friends are in there which makes it good as well. This summer I did a lot of reading but I feel like my studying of the Bible and my quiet time sort of went away. I am feeling convicted of not taking the time to study God's Word like I need to. That afternoon again I just took it easy knowing that once I picked the kids up from school it would be super busy! So that afternoon we got in and went right to work on homework. Luckily he didn't have a lot. We got it done then quickly got dressed and I took them to Cane's for dinner. That evening they were having a Scouts meeting at Calvary. This year someone went there to talk to the boys on Monday so they had an "interest meeting/signup" the following day. We didn't have to be there but I really wanted to go to support Melody and the school. Also I figured Colby would know any boys signing up. We had 3 new boys register which was exciting. We had 2 from 4th grade and 1 3rd grader. Lindsay was super bored during the meeting but Colby enjoyed seeing his friends so that made the hectic afternoon worth it. We got home and immediately went to bath/bedtime.
Wednesday I had a meeting at Aurora. I will be teaching music again this year. This was the Back to School Staff meeting. It felt good being back with these ladies who many have been a part of my life since Colby was a toddler. The meeting lasted about an hour then we were all asked to stick around and help them organize the supply room. I helped for about 30 min then told them I really needed to go because I had a SUPER busy afternoon/evening. So I got home right at 12 and ate lunch then had just a little while to relax before it was time to go pick up the kids. Usually my parents get the kids on Wednesdays but this week Lindsay was going to dance class with her friend Layla. I was excited for her to get to "try" dance again. For whatever reason she didn't want to to do the summer workshop this summer. I even asked her about doing it during the school year but she said she has to think about. I am not going to force the idea but wait and see if she inquires about it then if she did I would consider signing her up. Anyway I know she had a blast going with a friend. So after picking them up they both had to change and then I brought her by Layla's house. From there Colby and I went to get gas in my van then to visit with my parent's for a bit before going to church. We went on to church and had dinner. Lindsay finally got there about 6:15 or so. I got her changed again lol and she and I went out to the playground with all the other kids. Soon after getting out there we heard about one of our friend's windows in her car getting broken into. That made for a crazy night. I tried to help as much as possible since I know how that feels. I went on up though to help teach the k-2nd grade girls. We had 6 girls I think. I am really enjoying that group. By the time we got home that night I was so exhausted!! I was glad though to have gotten through the 2 most busy days of my week! 
Thursday I didn't have much on my agenda. I met a friend for coffee though. It felt good to let my mind escape with Lindsay's upcoming surgery. It was fun to visit. I then came home and tried to be productive around here. That afternoon we got to come home and not get back out which felt so great! Colby had a TON of homework too so I am glad we didn't have anywhere to be that evening! 
So the learning lesson this week has been for Colby. I recall that every year the first month he always has an adjustment period. Between getting used to a new teacher and just getting back into the groove of school. So he had summer reading this summer and he read 2 books and did book reports. Well we turned them in the first day of school. His teacher had told us they were extra credit. Well I put them in a folder and told him to hand them in. I never heard anymore so I assumed he turned them in and all was well. Well this last week he got his first progress report. I noticed his teacher had a 0 marked for summer reading. Well long story short...he never turned them in! Sigh....He had put them in his cubby and I guess forgotten and never told his teacher. I guess it was a learning lesson for us both. He needs to know that its up to him to get stuff like that turned in. It was also a reminder to me that I need to start backing off some. Anyway we live and learn! 


No comments:

Post a Comment