Friday, June 1, 2012

Long, Summer Days

Well we are now into summer mode and out of holiday mode. I am enjoying the no schedule part...its nice to not have to rush out he door in the mornings but hard to keep everyone entertained and sane for 12 hours! Yesterday was one of those days too that Austin was way after 7 getting home which makes it even harder. We began our day with a trip to Target. I have gotton used to shopping with 2 little ones...its not horrible but its not easy either. I just feel like it takes longer and I lose my concentration. Lindsay is pretty easy b/c she just sits there and looks around but Colby has to walk usually after the basket starts to fill up and he wanders around and gets side tracked. Anyway we made it back from that and we spent most of the rest of the day inside. Its so hot these days that getting out and walking really isn't an option. Lindsay took a pretty good nap but Colby didn't nap so he was out of his room at 1 which makes for a long day. Its not that he's bad its just hard to keep him entertained for that many hours. Last summer was different he and I could do a lot more running around but now with a baby our lives have slowed down some. He and I did spend about an hour in the backyard late yesterday afternoon while she slept which was nice. That reminded me of the last few years that we have spent so many hours out there just he and I. It also didn't help my day that Colby wet the bed. He transitioned to underwear full time I think in April. Its still been an adjustment. He has an accident about once every couple weeks. After Florida they got more frequent...we got back over that hump and now he's had 3 in a row. So I start my day with stripping his bed and washing clothes! Anyway I was very glad to finally see Austin last night when he got home!
Today (Thursday) we decided to go to the library. Its been forever since I brought Colby there. In fact I think it was a few days before Lindsay was born. I keep wanting to take him to storytime but usually it always fell when he was in school this past year...oh well maybe this summer we will make it and now that Lindsay is a little older she might like it too! Anyway we got there and the castle was closed so that was a little disappointing. Even though Colby likes going to the library its always hard to get him involved. Finally he wanted to get on a computer so we did and he played pbs kids. He had no idea what he was doing...we don't let him get on the computer here...I am not ready to let him enter into that yet. Anyway that lasted 5 minutes or more then he was ready to check out books. We found about 4 books that looked good so checked them out. I felt like it was atleast a productive trip. I want him to enjoy books and know how to use the library. Even though it was quick I felt good knowing we did something educational today. My goal is to not let him sit home and watch tv all summer! Anyway the rest of the day though was pretty dull. Lindsay did fall asleep on the way home so he rode his bikes in the front for a little while. After we came in it was lunchtime...I fed and got Lindsay down for her nap then Colby and I ate and he went down for his nap. I was so happy he finally took a nap it had been several days since his last one and I knew he needed it. Lindsay on the other hand didn't nap at all ALL day so it made for a long, exausting day for me. I am not sure what her deal was b/c she has been napping so good lately. I finally figured out her nap rhythm. For awhile I was doing what worked with Colby and obviously she is a different person so I finally figured out what worked best for her. And what I figured out was 3 naps a day in her bed. Well the last 2 days with Colby being home now its hard for her to get her first nap in her bed b/c if we do then Colby is going crazy ready to leave the house plus if we wait until 10 then we only have like an hour before its time for her to eat and then our lunchtime. So we just had to skip her morning nap hoping she would nap in the car which she did today but apparantly not long enough. Anyway it was hard on me b/c she kept flipping over and I would go in to flip her back but she would do it again. It was also hard on Colby b/c I had to devote so much time and energy to her yesterday I feel like he got jipped. I try to spend the afternoons playing with him while she is taking her late afternoon nap. I know there will be days like this and that's ok we all have bad days.
Anyway its a new schedule we are getting used to. We had our routine down with Colby being in school so now it will take us a couple weeks to get used to them both being home a lot more. But it'll be ok! Thank goodness Austin is off this weekend though and I can catch a break and we can have some family fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment