Thursday, August 8, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten 2013-2014



So the day has arrived that we sent our baby boy out into the real world to big boy school! I can't believe it! The last 5 years have flown by! Its so sad knowing how quickly this day will come for Lindsay! Anyway so here we are! We have spent all summer talking and preparing for big boy school. He was at first sad when we started telling him he wouldn't be attending Aurora this fall. He wanted to meet at his little safe haven where he knew everyone. We crossed that hump and since he's been out of school since May he has been talking more and more about kindergarten! We have tried to make it a very positive experience. This summer we bought uniforms and school supplies and tried to make it all very exciting! We worked on worksheets to prepare him for real big boy work. We already read books during the day but we have begun our first chapter book "Charlotte's Web". So after 2 1/2 months of prep the day has come!
First yesterday he was able to go Meet His Teacher and drop of school supplies. He was excited to do this. Austin took the last 2 days off so he could participate in all this fun too! After meeting the teacher we took a trip out to lakeside just to look around and enjoy our last family outting of the summer! Last night Austin and I attended the parent Orientation. There are so many changes and exciting things happening at Calvary. Back up a minute---so this is my former school and the school I taught 2nd grade at! Anyway a lot has changed and for the better! The new principal (this is her 3rd year) is making a lot of changes and doing some great things for the school! We enjoyed hearing about all of this at orientation. We also got another glimpse into his classroom.
Today was his first day of school. Luckily on their first day they only go a half day. That was a nice ease into this big boy school thing! So the whole family got up and brought him into school. Once he's settled in I am sure on Austin's day off just one of us will go but being the first day neither of us wanted to miss out. His teacher said we could walk him in on the first day. The whole school meets together in the cafateria for an assembly time. I think he was overwhelmed at first with this. He said it was too loud and too crowded! I helped him find a seat. When I told him we were gonna go he acted like he was going to cry so I told him we would stick around a few minutes. You could tell he was really uncomfortable at first. They stood up to do the pledges and he had no idea what was going on...finally a teacher's aide went over and encouraged him to get up. Once he sat back down and the principal started talking he seemed to settle in. Once we knew he was ok and wasn't going to burst into tears we quietly slipped out. It was so hard leaving him...especially for daddy! I can't imagine had we been leaving him in a strange place! Luckily we go to church there and he has some friends plus he knows so many of the adults which is nice! I couldn't wait to hear about his day! Lindsay and I grocery shopped and yes I missed my buddy but I also think it was quicker and easier with just 1 child and one that still rides in the buggy! We had a nice morning at home and lunch at Cane's before picking him up at 12:30. He seemed very happy when he got in the car and excited about school. He filled us in on a few details: We know had a brownie at lunch, he ate his chicken, he went to the potty twice, Mrs. Birden read "The Night before kindergarten" and a few other minor things. Not sure what else he did in between! I am so excited for my big boy! I will enjoy the one on one time with Lindsay but I will miss him so much during the day! I know he's going to grow up so much this year! I am so thankful for the 5 years I've had him at home with me! I look forward to many fun school events and being very involved with his school!

No comments:

Post a Comment