Sunday, August 17, 2014

Back 2 School Bash & Calvary School Celebration

So this Friday night our church hosted a Back to School Bash for the kindergarten-fifth grade students. It was open to the church kids and the school kids. I had been asked to come and help out which I figured I would stick around anyway. I enjoy helping out at these things b/c usually I am downstairs with the preschoolers on Sundays and Wednesdays so I don't always get to interact with Colby and his friends. It was from 6-10 pm so I knew we were going to be worn out when it was all said and done. Lindsay has been wanting to spend the night with my parents for a few weeks and so we figured this was the perfect time for her to do it! She has spent the night alone there a few times but it was mostly when she was a baby. She has also spent the night a few times with her brother. Since Austin was also working we figured it only made sense to let her stay over there. Since I was helping out we got to the church around 5:30. They put Colby and I to work in the kitchen. He was a HUGE help. Soon all the kids started arriving. They all gathered in the worship center. I am not sure what all they did during that time b/c once I walked Colby in there I went back to the kitchen.
They served the kids hamburgers and hotdogs. Colby ofcourse sat with his buddy Nijel. They are so cute! I love their little friendship. I tried to walk around and help any kids who looked like they needed help or were sitting alone. We were reminded about this time and being intentional with the children. I also did get to visit with some of the adults too. They gave the kids about 40 min to eat. Afterwards we all went outside to the playground. This time was a little more relaxed although I ended up walking a child to get a bee sting looked at so I missed a lot of it. I know Colby enjoyed running around on the playground though. They then went back into the church to have games, music, and worship time. I could tell Colby was getting restless by this time as were all the k and 1st graders!
They hung in there though. After all the group stuff they then split into smaller groups k and 1st, 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th. We tried playing a game with the kids but they were just WAYY too hyper so we let them go outside for a drink and a break. Afterwards they got the parachutes out which were a HUGE hit! They played that until it was time to go. By 9:30 Colby had had enough. Parents were starting to pick up kids so I asked Laekan if I could go ahead and bring Colby home.

Sunday there was more celebration to come. They were honoring/celebrating the school at church. This took place during the 2nd service. We changed our normal time around since I was working in preschool. I just couldn't imagine having my kids up there all day especially after Friday night. It ended up being a great turn out of school people. We had atleast 20 preschoolers! It was crazy but we improvised and made it all work. I took the younger preschoolers and we mostly played. We didn't accomplish as much of the curriculum as normal but it was just too hectic! Afterwards we went to our child's classroom. During this time they picked one kid from each class that won a gift card! And Guess what? Colby actually won! He never wins stuff like that so he was happy! They got to choose where they wanted the gift card too. He chose Target. Its only five dollars but I will let him pick out a toy =) After that they served lunch. I was a little stressed on how lunch would go since I was there by myself but they had it so organized. All we had to do was get our drinks and go sit down. That made it so much easier with 2 kids! We really enjoyed this weekend but boy are we tired!
I am so excited though about the upcoming year!! I love our church and school and its so great to see them united! I hope Colby has a great 2nd week of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment