Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Homework Blues

So first grade has started and we are in full homework force already! Last week was pretty easy no homework except Thursday when he had to write his Bible verse 5 times!! I thought that was crazy for a 6 year old. It was as hard on me as it was on him. Although I was proud of my man he plugged through and we got it done!
The next challenge has now come this week! Yesterday (Monday) He came home with TONS of homework!! He had to do a math page, write his Bible verse 3 times, type his spelling words, and read a book. I mean I love his being challenged and I don't mind any of these homework pieces by themselves but I am finding it a bit much for a barely 6 year old. The Bible and Math took us about 40 min so we took a break so I could cook dinner and he could play. I am firm believer in children should be able to PLAY after school. They don't get to PLAY enough in school so I hate we are also taking PLAY out of afterschool. Last year he had homework and on a bad night it probably took us 30 min but average it was about 10 min. I mean I knew 1st grade would be more but I guess I was thinking 25-30 min.
I don't want to sound like a complainer b/c I have been the new teacher and had parents be so mean to me. I am trying to show grace and trying to support this. I know he is going to learn so much but seriously?!? I feel like I am back in school! We also got a note saying they would have 3 tests on Friday. I hope that is not normal! I keep going back to when I taught. I didn't like giving homework even as a teacher. My kids usually only went home with maybe 2 things to do. I also only ever gave them 2 tests in a day. Bible and Spelling are pretty expected for Fridays but add Math too and that's a recipe for disaster! I am praying for my guy that this doesn't stress him out! I am trying to not complain in front of him. So far he's handled it well although last night he did cry while writing his Bible verses.
I just don't want him to ever hate school or hate learning. I am really trying to keep my focus on God and let him guide me through this. I know there is a lesson in it all. But seriously its making me contemplate homeschool. If it gets worse or if he gets to the point of being so upset I will not be afraid to take that route. He's 6 he should still be having fun and playing!! Last night we only got to play outside for 15 minutes but that's also my promise to him that I will never deprive him of outside. If I have to write a note to the teacher saying we didn't finish it all oh well!
So that's my 1st grade venting for now!!
Dear God,
Please help me to approach this year with grace and understanding. Its hard to see my boy frustrated. I want him to love learning and love school, yet I do want him to understand hard work and fulfilling commitments such as homework. I want him to respect his teacher and love her. Please help me to provide a comfort to him, but also be able to support him in getting his work done. I love him so much. Also help us to establish a sweet relationship with his teacher Ms. Wesseling. We don't know her story and so we also lift her up in prayer. I remember how overwhelming those first few weeks are as a new teacher. And she is also a student! Please help establish a bond and community in that sweet 1st grade class!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment