Friday, June 3, 2011

Aquarium



Today Colby and I ventured out to the aquarium. The main reason for us going today was b/c the MOPS group was going there for a playdate. They have playdates throughout the summer so I figured I am trying to do as much as I can this summer with Colby since next summer I will have 2 kids to bring around and it won't be as simple. Most of them were riding the ferry but I chose not to do that b/c it takes as long to drive to the ferry as it does to actually drive to the aquarium. Some day I would like to ride the ferry with Colby but we will probably save that for when Austin is with us.
We arrived a few minutes before the aquarium opened. I saw the group and we got to speak to them. When the doors opened though I could see them going one way and we went the other. I let Colby choose which side he wanted to go in. I did this b/c we weren't in a hurry and weren't there to see anything in particular. I don't think either way was very crowded today though which was nice.
Colby seemed to really enjoy it. I thought he was going to be very timid the whole trip but he livened up. I gave him the choice of walking or riding in the stroller and he chose to ride. It was probably good b/c it was a little walk from the car to the aquarium. When we got in though I told him he could get out and walk up to the exhibits but he just wanted to ride. I was afraid he would do this the whole time. But finally when we came up on some buttons he wanted out and from there he pretty much walked the rest of the time.
He seemed to really like the big fish tanks, the penguins, otters, sharks, turtles, and frogs. He was naming the animals today and talking to them. He got a big kick out of the alligator and even petting the sting rays. I am glad he's getting to the age of actually learning about the different animals. His attention span though still isn't too long so we finished in an hour. He also enjoyed the play areas. Its nice that they have some spaces for the young kids to stretch their legs and run around. We only stumbled upon one MOPS mom once we were in but that was ok I enjoyed the one on one time with Colby. We didn't do the new parakeet exhibit. I wasn't sure how Colby would do and I figured we would save his first time doing that until Austin could join us.
Well since we finished the aquarium in an hour we called Austin to see if he could meet us for lunch. It was nice to see him in the middle of the day. It worked out well we went and ate pizza in Canal Place. Then we dropped him back off at the hotel. I hope to do that again this summer. Even if we don't do the aquarium we could go drive and pick him up and eat somewhere then bring him back.
Anyway we got home and I for sure thought Colby would take a nice nap...he was falling asleep in the car. He didn't nap the last 2 days but he was at my parents Wednesday and Thursday we had a lot going on around the house. Well around 2 the doorbell rang and next thing I know he's standing at his door. I don't think he ever went to sleep I don't think the doorbell would have woke him up like it did. He also had pooped. I gave him a firm talking to about both. He has been doing so great pooping on the potty I hope he will get this down before summer is over!
I also don't know what is going on with the naps...we went through this last summer and we finally got him back on a good nap schedule and now he seems like he's trying to fight them again. Honestly I wouldn't mind if he stopped napping but still had a quiet time if he didn't need the nap and part of me thinks he doesn't b/c when he does he is late going to bed but he is still falling asleep in the car like today so it makes me think his body still does need a nap so I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment