Monday, May 23, 2016

Last Week of School



Here we are already! Its May and we are in the last week of school! As always that last week is extremely busy! 
Monday-Both kids went to school. I did my normal Monday routine of grocery shopping. I came home was able to do a few things before Austin picked Lindsay up and they came home and we ate a quick lunch before heading back up to Colby's school. We had a baby oak tree spring up in our flower bed back at our old house. We kept it alive and moved it to a pot before we moved. We really didn't have a place here at the house to put it so we decided we would plant it at their school. We got permission and figured it would be a great project for the 2nd grade and it would be fun for them to watch it grow each year as they grow! The kids enjoyed watching the planting process. I was so thankful Austin could help with it. They were fascinated with the digging the hole and watering. I was so happy we could do this with them and create this memory for the class. Mrs. Gartman had to leave shortly after we planted the tree. She had a doctors appointment. She is having a baby the Monday after school. The sub decided to let them play out on the playground awhile longer which was probably a good thing. When they finally went upstairs it was time for cupcakes and b-day celebrations! We got all that passed out. While they ate I read the book "The Giving Tree". I enjoyed being in a classroom again. The class was so wound up though but I it did make me miss things. After reading I knew we still had a lot of time to spare so I had them draw a picture of the tree we had just planted. Again they were noisy and loud but I think they were all just excited and already in summer mode! We left around 3 to just bring Colby home. It was nice to get in a few minutes early. I think we were all exhausted. We stayed in and grilled that night. 
Tuesday- Again both kids went to school. Lindsay had Splash Day and Colby had Field Day. It was nice that Austin was off and got to be around for all this. Usually he is at work for that type stuff. We dropped Colby off then went to bring Lindsay. She was super excited about Water Day and wearing her swimsuit to school. Once we got her settled we went back up to Calvary to help with Field Day. I was glad we were both able to go and we stayed busy the whole time. Since it was raining they had most of it in the Worship Center. They did a bunch of different relay games. I think Colby enjoyed it. I enjoyed getting to interact with his class and the others as well. It was 1st-5th grade. They went outside to do a Whip Cream activity that was quite messy! After they got cleaned up they were going to lunch so we just checked Colby out then. I felt like it would be nice to have a family day and not have to drive back over there and get him at 3:30. We went to Lindsay's school and they were enjoying Popsicles so Colby got to get in on that too. Finally I got her changed and we came home. We picked up lunch and enjoyed a low key afternoon. That night we cooked jambalaya and the kids played outside. It was a nice afternoon but once again we were all quite tired! 
Wednesday- Once again the kiddos were in school. This was a full day for Colby. While Lindsay was at school I worked at the church making copies for VBS. That took the entire morning so I picked her up then we came home to rest. My parents have been picking Colby up on Wednesdays and bringing him home so its nice to have an extended quiet afternoon. We met them at church. Lindsay was super tired b/c she didn't take a nap. She fell asleep on the way there and then was in quite the funk. It ended with me having to take her to the bathroom and spank her. She's been quite sassy lately! We ate dinner and then I taught my little class. It was the last of the spring sessions. We only had 5 kids. We played outside for quite awhile before going in and then we had popcorn and a movie. It was a fun way to end the semester. 
Thursday- This was a short day and I was thankful for it. I ended up meeting some friends at Chickfila. I really wanted to come home and have quiet time but I knew this was my last kid free breakfast for quite some time plus April will be moving soon. I enjoyed the company and then ran a quick errand at Target. Lindsay got out at 12 and Colby at 12:30. I got them both and we came home and just rested that afternoon. I loved having them home and getting a jumpstart on our summer! It was great having them both around...even though they fight a lot. We have been working on school work as well. Colby is working on some math and language and Lindsay is working on letters. I hope to do "school" with them most days this summer. That evening we had dinner and just hung out around the house.
Friday- This was another short day! Colby had Awards Day and it was Lindsay's last day of school. My parents came and got Lindsay from Calvary to bring her to school. I hated to miss dropping her off but I also hated to miss Awards Day. I had even thought about keeping her out that day but with it being her last day at Aurora ever I figured it was only fair to send her to school and not make her sit through a 2 hour awards ceremony. The awards ceremony went well. Colby didn't get any awards this time. I think he was a little bummed but we told him we were proud of him anyway. He still ended the year with a As and Bs for his final grades. It was also his principal Mrs. Spears' last day. It was very bittersweet when she told the kids goodbye. I hate to see her leave! She's been at the school for 5 years and Colby just absolutely loves her! She did so much for the school. Luckily Mrs. Price the 7th grade teacher is taking over. So we are happy about that! Atleast the kids are familiar with her. After the awards and telling everyone goodbye we went to Lindsay's school. We got there around 10:30. Colby was excited to go in. He loves going back there. When we arrived they were having ice cream sundaes. He was happy to help out and then eat some himself. I think he enjoyed being the big kid around. I think Mrs. Susan enjoyed spending time with him too. It was so bittersweet thinking we wouldn't be back there. Atleast not for awhile. Although I do hope to sub there over the summer and next school year. After they ate their ice cream they went outside to play. The kids had a blast. it was so fun just watching them so happy and with their friends. I am truly going to miss that place. Its such a special little school. I enjoyed visiting with the teachers and I think they were all a little bittersweet about us moving on as well. After we left I promised them a lunch out. Its a tradition we started when colby graduated kindergarten. Ofcourse that year was a bigger deal and we had all our family with us but the last 2 years its been me and them. We don't go out that often just me and them so its a fun treat. They chose Panera Bread. Its just a fun way to tell them I am proud of them and to kick start the summer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment