Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Park Play, Potty, and Naps

Today Colby and I had one of our usual "park" dates. I love the relaxed mornings where we don't have to be anywhere and I can just take him to the park for about an hour to hang out and play and see what adventure awaits. When we got there today we were the only ones. I was a little dissapointed because Colby always seems to have more fun when there are other kids around. Finally someone else came and it was the grandmother and little girl we played with last week. The grandmother was so excited to see Colby and I. Apparantly her family has been talking about Colby all week. He and the little girl Addison will be in the same mother's day out class. They are really nice people and I look forward to getting to know them and Colby getting to know Addison. She's really cute and seems to be a sweet little girl.
Colby and her chased each other around the park it was so cute! She was even going up to him saying "hi Colby" and he would play hard to get! Adorable! I am so excited about his new little friends that he is going to have in school! He starts Thursday...I am getting excited! I hope he enjoys it and is able to have a good time and not miss me too much! I expect tears I figure its better to go ahead and expect them but I hope he quits before I leave or doesn't cry long. I will feel so much better leaving if he's not crying!
Anyway Colby has just grown up so much lately. He has been going to the potty now for about 3-4 months. I would say he's still training though because he still has an occassional accident plus only poops in the potty about 10% of the time and rarely tells us when he has to go. Well all that has changed in the last 3-4 days. He has pooped in the potty twice in 3 days and has also led me or told me he has to go potty! I am so excited its like he knows he's starting school and he has to grow up a little bit in the process! I love seeing him learn so much at this age but it is bittersweet when I look at him and don't see "baby" anymore I see little boy!
He's also talking so much these days...he still doesn't say any sentences really just words but he repeats so much and is using a lot more in context. He can also say and recognize many of the letters! I know he's going to learn so much in school too that I will be amazed by January I'm sure what all he has learned to do! He has also gotton interested in art projects which thrills me. He used to want nothing to do with them! But lately he loves it!
This summer we have gone through some sleep issues with him...things seem to be getting back on track though and for that I am so grateful. He is back to taking consistent naps. They aren't always as long as they used to be but if he gets 2 hours I am happy! Although today he's now been down for over 3 hours! I know his body needs to catch up! He's still waking up early. He's pretty much up between 6:30 and 7 these days. I don't mind it too much...I mean I miss sleeping in but its nice because we get a lot more done in the morning and have more time to play and hang out! He's still having a little trouble at night. We put him down consistently at 8 each night. He usually comes out twice between 8 and 9 then falls asleep sometime after 9. I hate he won't go to sleep right away b/c 9 seems so late to be falling asleep for a 2 year old. We even tried putting him down earlier but that didn't make a difference he was still up until 9. So we will stick with the 8:00 bedtime for now. Any earlier really seems too early especially during the summer and when Austin sometimes doesn't get home until after 6. I like for him to spend time with his dad. So I am glad he has somewhat gotton back into a routine! Sleep is great for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment