Monday, July 8, 2013

Independence Day, Anniversary, & Family Time

This weekend is a big weeekend for our family. My mom and dad will be celebrating 50 years of marriage. I feel so blessed to have grown up in a family where marriage was a priority and they have chosen to make it work and stay together for 50 years! Since their big anniversary falls on the 5th our 4th of July plans have been a little altered this year.
So today being the 4th and Austin working the kids and I had a low key quiet day! We did go to the park mid-morning just to get out the house and let the kiddos burn off some energy! We haven't done many park dates this summer b/c we have been so busy! I think they both had fun but it quickly got hot plus there were some bigger kids there who were just being plain annoying. I think it did help everyone's mood though to have gotten out and enjoyed some sunshine! Afterwards the kids played well by themselves. Colby also watched Shrek...he doesn't get to watch a lot of movies but I figured a day like today why not? Its too hot to really play outside plus that allowed me time to clean up around the house. After their naptime we headed over to my parent's house to eat dinner and spend time with my aunt ree. It was fun visiting with her! Growing up she was my favorite aunt and I can see my kids are going to love her as much as I did/do! They both played shy at first but quickly warmed up. Dinner was a little crazy...anytime there are 2 young kids! Lindsay was grouchy for some reason...but she really hit it off with my aunt for some reason! She talked and talked with her! So adorable! We had to call it an early night around 7 to get the kids home and to bed.
Friday Austin was off and it was my parent's 50th Anniversary! I made plans with Elizabeth to go get a pedi! I can't believe that was my first time! I have just always painted my own toenails. I have been wanting to do it for awhile especially during the summer b/c my feet get so dry and cracked. Anyway I heard her mention last night she was going to go so I figured this would be the perfect time! It was fun having that girl time! I don't do stuff like that often so it was nice to visit with her and get a mommy time out! I haven't had many breaks all summer so it was very well needed! Once I got home Austin and the kids were trying to clean the house for mawmaw and pawpaw. I chipped in and also played with the kids some! His parents got here around lunchtime. We enjoyed po-boys and visiting. While Lindsay took her nap they ran errands and sat outside with Colby. We don't make him nap/rest while they are here so he is so loud and hyper that they have to get out the house haha! Anyway I did get to relax for about an hour which was nice! The afternoon went by very quickly though since I had to shower and start getting ready around 2:30. The babysitter Katelynn got here at 4. This was our first ever "Babysitter" experience. Katelynn was one of my flower girls in the wedding. I can't believe she is now old enough to babysit my kids but she did great! So thankful for her! I think the kids enjoyed her too! I knew Colby would and Lindsay did a lot better when we left then I thought she would! She was in the middle of eating so she was pretty distracted when we left. Our dinner reservations were for 5:15 so we left around 4:30. We ate at Andrea's. This is where Randall and Elizabeth had their rehearsal dinner. It was very nice and the food was great! The guests were: me, Austin, Mrs. Doris, Austin's mom and dad, My aunt Ree, my parents (obviously) and Randall and Elizabeth. It was the perfect amount of people. I think my parents felt special without being too fussed over! When we got home I was anxious to see how the kids did. Katelynn had Lindsay already in bed...I was so proud of them! Colby was in his pjs and almost ready for bed. It seemed like they all did just fine! Good to know we can leave them with a real babysitter next time grammy and granddaddy are busy ;)
Saturday we had an early start to the day! Since MawMaw and PawPaw were in town for the anniversary they spent the night with us since my aunt was staying with my mom and dad. They had to sleep in Colby's room...well this meant that the 3 of them were up at 6am. With all the goings on I couldn't sleep any later either. It was rough waking up that early. I guess it did give Colby a chance to play with his grandparents though before breakfast. We met everyone at Parrot Pete's at 9 for breakfast. The kids did really well...I was honestly surprised b/c their moods going in weren't that great. It was nice to visit with everyone again in a more casual atmosphere. After breakfast the kids and I went to Target. Austin's parents left to go home. We got our shopping done and came home to rest/relax. We had a pretty low key afternoon my mom and Aunt did come by to visit the kids and I but other then that we just enjoyed relaxing!
Sunday we went to my mom and dad's church to be with them for their anniversary. We had flowers put in the church for them so we thought it would be nice to be there. This is the first time we have gone back since December for my dad's b-day. We have tried to go one or two other times but we were either sick or bad weather kept us from going. It was good to return. We definitely miss a lot of the people there. Colby was so excited going back to his old church...he loves Calvary but I think he will always have a special place in his heart for Metairie since he spent so much time there his first 4 years of life! He did great in his class and was glad to see his old friends Glenn Paul and Macie! Lindsay was very upset about going into her class...she is already clingy but I know she doesn't probably remember Metairie at all. She did fine though after about 10 minutes. Thankfully even though she cries when I leave her it doesn't last long. She only had one other little boy Jackson in her class and he is almost a year older. Since there were no other 1 year olds she went with him in the 2 year old class. Church service was nice...it was nice to worship in a different atmosphere and as a family. After church we did our usual lunch at McAlister's which was nice. I think it meant a lot to my parents to have us all there! The kids were great at the restaurant. They sat across from each other and were so cute! Colby kept sharing his sweet tea with Lindsay. Lindsay also greatly impresses me with her fine motor skills, she ate mac n cheese and applesauce and fed herself with a spoon with hardly making a mess! She did the same thing Saturday at breakfast with her grits! The rest of the day was low key and about catching up on housework and rest! Such a great memorable weekend though and so thankful for my parents!!

No comments:

Post a Comment