Saturday, August 14, 2010

The End of An Era

Ok so I am not saying that Colby is giving up his nap because I don't believe that children give up naps and I don't think he is completely ready to give up his nap but he is definitely in a transition. I have read up on toddlerwise/preschoolwise this week about naptimes. It said there is a transition of children weaning themselves from a nap. This usually happens between 3 and 4. It still recommends though that the children have a "Rest" time even if they don't sleep.
Well Colby is only 2 and just turned 2. But since we converted his bed and since his birthday naps have been very hit or miss. Colby has always been a good napper...I mean he has always had days even since he was a baby that he might not nap or might not nap good but for the most part I have counted him as a good napper. I think that is mainly due to us making him nap. Its always been a part of our day no matter what.
I know the days of 3 hour naps are fading out of the picture or gone but I think Colby still needs a 2 hour nap atleast. During our trip to Hattiesburg last week he didn't nap. We came home though and he went back to 3 hour naps. Now the last 3 days he hasn't napped at all. He can pretty much make it through the day without completely falling apart but he is just soo exausted by dinnertime. Last night we couldn't even take him outside after dinner because he was just soo tired! Today he stayed in his room almost 3 hours playing then thought he was going to come out. Well I took him right back to his room b/c I didn't feel it was time for him to come out plus I was mad that he had been playing for 3 hours. I knew his room would be a mess but it was completely trashed! I don't think his room has ever looked that bad! That made me furious so he got a spanking and put back in his bed. Its quiet now so I am not sure if he fell asleep or is just scared to come out! I really hate though that it took him until 3:30 to settle down. He goes down for a nap at 12:30 which is the perfect time because then he has several hours after he gets up to wear himself down before bedtime...now he will be wound up tonight if I let him sleep too long!
I just don't want him to give up naps yet not this soon...like I say I won't allow him to give it up...many parents give up the battle and just deal with it but I am right now not going to do that. Even if he does spend 3 hours in his room playing atleast he's in his room and it still gives me a break. He has to understand that he needs some down time and so does mommy. This is another reason I am so thankful he is starting to school next month. Hopefully it will wear him out enough he will start taking good naps again but also it will give me a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment