Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Three S's (Sleeping, Sickness, and School)

Today has been a very interesting day! Let me begin with my first S (sleeping). Colby awoke around 5 am this morning crying. Austin went in to see the problem and turned on his music. We hoped/prayed he would go back to sleep. As you can imagine I was not happy at this point at all! I already knew it would be a long day and I had to wake up at 6:30. I never did return to sleep and neither did Colby. He awoke again around 6 crying...once again Austin went in turned on his music...once again I prayed he would fall back asleep. Nope! He stayed in there until about 6:45 but was then up for the day! Atleast I was able to get ready in peace I guess!
Naptime again took place at my parent's house...it really sucks that of all weeks when we are having trouble with his sleeping we have to be all misplaced from our house. Colby and I went to church this morning just to have some getting out time then we went to my parent's house for lunch/naptime. I knew by noon he should be down for his nap. By noon he had been up 7 hours! That's just insane! Instead of leaving falling asleep up to him and taking the chance he would play I decided to lay down in the room...not so much as a comfort but to watch him and make sure he stayed lying down instead of playing. It worked! He fell asleep after about 15 minutes. Granted he only slept for about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours...I feel like he really needed 3-4 but least it was progress!
Tonight my parent's got the pleasure of putting him to bed because we had parent's night (more about that later) at Colby's school. My mom said he went down fine. When we got home Austin went to peep on him he was still awake. We both kissed him and closed the door. While I was in the bathroom he apparantly came out crying. Austin sat by him for a few minutes and said he went to sleep. We are not sure what is going on with him because he has NEVER done this. I mean he slept better at 6 months old then he is now!
Onto the second S (sickness). Colby started with a runny nose and sneezing yesterday. Today it was worse but still no fever. He was exposed to strep on Friday but I am praying that is not what he has. Hopefully its just a cold. I am sure his throat is hurting him also. He still has a good appetite though so again I am hoping/praying its just a cold and today will be his worse day. I really feel like if it were strep he would have already run a fever. Usually fever is the first sign of something wrong not that last....I also now have a sore throat though but again I hope by tomorrow its better and we are both better! We have plans to run errands with my mom but it will depend on if we are better or worse. If Colby is worse I may go ahead and take him to the doctor to get tested for strep.
The last S (school). We went to Colby's Mother's Day Out or school tonight. They had parent's night. Children were not allowed to go. I guess they want the parents to really hear the information and not have chaos of children there. We were excited to see 2 families we already know have children going to the school. This made us both feel good. The first is a neighbor down the street who have a little girl. She is only 1 though so she won't be in Colby's class. The other is a little girl from Colby's swim class. She is 2 and will be in his class on Tuesdays/Thursdays! I was so happy to hear that! The class is going to have 9 so that is not bad at all. He will go twice a week from 9-12. It sounds like they have lots planned and will really have fun! I think it will be good for Colby to interact with other people and kids. The teacher was young and seemed very sweet! I pray he develops a great relationship with her. She also has another lady helping out on the days Colby will be there...so 2 adults for 9 two year olds I guess won't be bad! He starts September 9th so in about 2 weeks! Its bittersweet for me! In some ways I cannot wait for him to start because I will finally after 2 years get some much needed time for myself! I can run errands, make appointments, clean house, or just come home and have some down time! Its sad though knowing that my little boy is growing up! I can't believe 2 years of staying home with him all day every day is gone! I could keep him home another year but he's just so active I think he needs this time! It will be fun to see how he grows and learns this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment