Monday, August 23, 2010

Sleep Problems

I know everyone is probably tired of hearing about Colby not sleeping and I am too honestly but I have to vent about it or I will drive myself crazy! The most frustrating part of this is that Colby has always been a great sleeper! My intuition tells me right now too that he is soo overtired that he's keyed up and not sleeping well. I have always griped about other people and hearing about their children not sleeping...honestly I have to confess that just a few weeks ago I was saying I was tired of hearing about other people's problems and maybe the Lord is doing this to bring me down a notch! I never viewed myself as a perfect parent but I always thought we had sleep down to a science with Colby! It has always come so easy! We put him in his crib the first night home from the hospital and he only woke up twice. He only was waking up once by the time he was a month...and by 2 months he was mostly sleeping through the night. We have probably had less then 5 BAD nights where I would say we didn't get much sleep! We have also been very routine and strict with his naptime. We have made it a point for 2 years to be home after lunch so he could nap. He has always consistently taken a 3 hour nap most days too! We did Babywise with him and it worked beautifully!
Now since the first week of August we are having issues! It began I think a little in July but nothing to the extreme it is now. We converted Colby's bed to a toddler bed in July. He adjusted really well and didn't even get out much in the beginning. Around his birthday we took the paci away. Once again no big deal he only asked for it one night. He has never cried or asked about it again! Neither of these do I want to go back with either even if they are the problem. My feeling is that he is 2 and he should be sleeping in a toddler bed I would rather deal with this now then with a 3 year old because at 3 he will be moved to a bigger bed. Its also easier to do this now then when/if we have another child or one on the way next year. I don't want to give the paci back because I have broken him of that habit and I think breaking it again at 3 would be horrible! By then he would be able to really talk and really have a memory of what was going on. Right now I think he has forgotton it all together so I don't want to go back.
We traveled in August to Hattiesburg and thats when I really remember the frustration starting...he wouldn't stay in his bed at naptime...now in the last few weeks he hardly naps at all and he is waking up at 6:30 most days...this is something he NEVER did before! Usually he slept until 8:30. I know things are going to change since he is older and probably doesn't need quite as much sleep but I believe a 2 year old needs more sleep then my child is getting. I believe he's in this cycle of being soo overtired he can't sleep well but I don't know how to break the vicious cycle! Its almost like he is going to have to sleep all day to ever catch up! But like a 2 year old will slow down to do that! I think if I could get him napping solidly for a week he might be ok its just how to get there. We have been given many suggestions one of them being getting the toys out of his room. We don't really have a place for all his toys and he has some in his room along with a large toy box. Without having a playroom in our house there is just no other place to put them.
Ok so tonight we put him in bed at 7:30 too like everyone kept telling me to put him to bed earlier. We already put him to bed consistently at 8...its hard to always get him bed earlier then that with Austin's work schedule. Tonight though we just didn't eat until after we put him in the bed. Well 2 hours later and I am still not positive he's sleeping. He has come out crying 2 or 3 times and i have gone in there 2 or 3 times because he was playing!
I am really trying to lay this down in front of God...I am sooo at a loss to solve it on my own! Please God, just help my son Colby to rest and feel refreshed. Just help his little body to slow down and rest the amount of hours it needs and also please help him to feel better if he is getting sick! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment