Sunday, February 5, 2012

1st ER visit

So yesterday we had our first scary experience of bringing a child to the ER. As I wrote earlier Lindsay has been battling the same cold virus that colby had earlier in the week. His has been a nasty bug as its a week later and he's still not 100%. I feared all week that she would get it and by Thursday I knew she had caught it. Its just progressively gotton worse just as his did. In fact its followed almost the exact path! Started with slight congestion and a cough then a worse cough, fever and just plain ole not looking/sounding/feeling good. Well yesterday morning around 11 I wasn't feeling good at all about the way she was acting. her appetite decreased she was still eating but just not anywhere compared to normal. I called our doc to see if they could squeeze her in but they turned us down. I spoke with the nurse and they basically gave us the same spill...saline drops, humidifier, blah blah. No one acted too concerned. Well by yesterday afternoon after her nap she wasn't eating well and she was just grunting and I wasn't sure if she was grunting b/c she was having trouble breathing. I knew she wasn't in distress though b/c her color was still good but I just didn't like second guessing myself and end up later that evening in trouble. I called my mom to come over and look at her and she agreed that we needed to have her checked out. So she and my dad stayed with Colby while Austin and I brought Lindsay in. We debated on where to take her but finally settled on the big oschner hospital. They actually have a pediatric er plus when we checked the wait times it was at 0. When we got there they already had her on record since he was born at an oschner hospital. We were called back to triage immediately where they weighed her and took her temp. Her temperature was at 99 which is where it had been all day. After that they brought us to a room. several people came in to look at all. They listened to her chest they said they heard a slight wheeze so they gave her a breathing treatment. After that they took us for a chest x-ray they also swabbed her for RSV. Everything came back clear which we were so thankful for. They basically diagnosed her with a bad upper respiratory infection. I am glad we brought her in though just for our peace of mind. It was very chaotic when we got home though it was 9 and Colby was acting out really badly which apparently he did all evening. We immediately put him to bed then bathed her and put her to bed. She hardly ate before bed although she did take a bottle at the hospital. I figured we would be up a lot that night with her but she slept all night which seems to be her new pattern anyway yay. I was worried all night though so I don't think i slept that soundly. I kept going in her room to check on her. I finally woke her up at 6:30 to eat and she finally ate about 3 oz. This morning she's acting better she's mostly sleeping but I figure that is what her body needs to do to heal. She ate 4 oz around 9:30 so it seems she's better. I am praying yesterday was the worst day like it was with Colby I think it was day 3 or 4 that she had it. I know it will take all week though for her to get back to 100% since we are over a week later and Colby still has the after effects of it he still coughs some and still has a slight runny nose...his appetite is also no where near normal and he is very cranky.
All in all it was a good experience I am glad we chose to bring her where we did. The staff was great and the no wait time was also a plus along with the fact that it seemed really clean and well organized.
Update: So the hospital called this afternoon and told us that her RSV test did come back positive. I am now still worried although she seemed better most of the afternoon but had a bad coughing fit after her bath. I can tell she's just got all that yuckly stuff in her throat and she can't cough it up! She only ate about 2-3 oz before bed but I am hoping she will get a good nights sleep and we will continue to see improvement in her! We will still be seeing the doc tomorrow! I am now convinced that Colby had the RSV first...he got it somewhere and passed it to her. He has been a lot sicker then just a normal cold so now its all making sense. He was also probably contagious and gave it to her before we even knew he was really sick and I think she probably "caught it" last weekend and just got bad during the latter part of the week! I am sure praying we see healing this week and all get passed these nasty germs!

No comments:

Post a Comment