Saturday, February 6, 2010

Colby's first Mardi Gras parade




So this weekend began Mardi Gras season in New Orleans. We knew this year we wanted to try to bring Colby to a parade since last year we were not able to coordinate a time to bring him when he was awake. Today seemed to be the best day 1) Austin was off 2) we wanted to bring him to a day parade ( I think he is still too young to do the night ones) and 3) the parades go right by my parent's neighborhood.


Well if you read my earlier post you would know that Colby is battling a stomach bug right now. So we thought today's parading might be out all together. We got up and he actually ate a pretty decent breakfast, the sun started to come out so we figured we would go to my parent's house and try it out. First we made a stop to get beignets. What better way to begin a parade day then stopping for beignets first! I would have loved for Colby to eat some but with his tummy issues we are still doing bland stuff right now. Deep fried donuts with lots of sugar mmm prolly not so good! Anyway we were able to see some of the parade lining up on our way over and Colby got really excited about the horses. This is his first time to see horses up close! He was so happy!


So we set off and walked down to the parade. I think Colby enjoyed it but since he's only 1 he really had no idea what it was all about. He wasn't scared or anything but he was just watching and not quite sure of what to think. I was suprised that the loud noises didn't make him cry. We have tried bringing Austin's nieces to the parades and they were freaked out when they were Colby's age. His only cry was when some beads smacked him right in the face. Which I don't blame him! Parades can be a little bit dangerous! But he was ok. I really wanted to get him used to them so he won't be scared in a couple years. I think he really took in all the sights. He caught a few cool things too including beads, a stuffed penguin, and a spear. We were really hoping for some Saints throws but no luck! He did well and I am glad he has had another experience to add to his life experiences. He's a NOLA kid so he's gotta love Mardi Gras. It brought back memories to my parents and I. They used to bring me down there every single year when I was young. Anyway it was a fun day and I am glad Colby was well enough to go. That will probably be our only one this year. Austin with his job has to work most of the other Mardi Gras days so we can usually only make the westbank ones. But good enough to say Colby went to one.


Update on his stomach bug:


No more throwing up since yesterday at lunch! Praise God. He has had a little diahrea though...twice since his nap but that is expected. Still don't know about church tomorrow. I think he feels pretty good but I don't want to infect any other kids. So we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment