Saturday, February 6, 2010

First Stomach Bug

So Colby had his first official stomach bug this week. Yesterday was our last day in Hattiesburg and our plans were to leave for home around lunch time. Well we woke up and found Colby's bed with a mysterious "wet spot" in it. Austin at first asked if I thought he threw up. I was like oh no its probably just pee. Sometimes his diapers leak not uncommon. I did think it was wierd though that his pants remained dry. So apparently this was throw up number 1 although we didn't really know at first.

So I made Colby breakfast like usual not thinking anything of him being sick because the day before he had been in a great mood and eating and playing like a champ. So while he was eating breakfast he threw up twice. So now I was beginning to think ok something is not right with him. I tell Austin and he thinks maybe he just ate breakfast too fast. But now I start thinking he doesn't look quite right either. So I went ahead and cleaned him up and got him dressed. I didn't want to give him anything else heavy since obviously he just threw up. I went ahead though and let him have his milk and gave him some puffs and fruit snacks b/c I didn't want him to be grumpy and starving. Well at first he seemed to be doing alright with them. Well soon after came throw up number 4. So now I am like he is definitely sick.

My intuition really told me we needed to get him home. But Austin had promised we would go back to his parent's and see his sister. So I am like ok we will go say hello and tell them Colby is sick and we gotta go. Well we got there and she wasn't even there yet. We ended up waiting over an hour. This whole time I was pretty perturbed b/c I knew Colby wasn't feeling well but everyone else wanted to blow it off. They even played with him and rough housed which I told Austin I didn't want anyone to do. Well my gut feeling also kept telling me we didn't want to feed him lunch till we got home either. I figured that would give his tummy 2 hours to settle and plus I didn't want to chance him puking in the car either. Well again everyone argued and said he should eat before we go. So yea I gave in and put him in his seat and began to feed him. Well he started crying and didn't even want to eat. But I forced him to take 2 or 3 bites. Well like 3 seconds later came throw up number 5! So now I was not a happy momma at all. I quickly got him up cleaned him up and ran out to the car. I was so mad but also worried about my little boy at the same time. I know I probably over reacted but I was so upset that no one bothered to take me seriously when I kept telling them he was sick. A momma just knows her child and has instinct. I mean I have been with him 24 hours for the last 18 1/2 months. So I think I should know! I think I made a scene and probably left everyone with a bad impression but when it comes to your child sometimes you just don't care what anyone thinks of you.

So we ended up coming home then and Colby did fine on the way home. He was just quiet mainly. He slept some of the ride but mainly just sat and stared out the window. I am just grateful he isn't a child that screams when they are sick. We got him home and I let him play for about an hour while we unloaded the car and got unpacked. Well by 2 I could tell he was in need of some downtime. I put him in his bed and he slept for about an hour. After that he got up and seemed a little better but was still a little cranky. He held down a snack of crackers and puffs which I was glad to see b/c thats pretty much the only food he had all day. He was able to hold down liquids though the whole time thank goodness so we didn't have to worry about him getting dehydrated.

Well last night for dinner I made him some bland mac n cheese pasta. He just picked at it maybe eating just 6 noodles. This is totally unlike him b/c mac n cheese is probably his fav food. He also didn't want his applesauce which he normally loves. He drank a lot of juice though which was good. We decided to put him to bed around 7ish. We knew he needed lots of rest to get over this bug. I was praying he wouldn't wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Thank goodness he slept all night actually 13 hours. We were so thankful. I know that did him some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment