Sunday, October 4, 2009

Austin, TX/Family Reunion & Day 1 in San Antonio

Well we have begun our Texas vacation. We left Friday and headed to Austin, TX. We left around 7:40 but didn't get to Austin, TX until about 7 pm that evening. What a long day! But I have to say our little Colby was SO GOOD! I think this is the best he has ever done on a trip! I mean he has always done well but this time he did exceptionally well. Well let me explain why it took 12 hours to get to our destination. First there was horrible traffic in New Orleans so we had to take a round about route to get to TX. We went highway 90 all the way to Laffayette. I have to say it was an interesting drive though. Well after that all was going well and we stopped somewhere in TX for lunch. Again Colby did really well. He scarfed down chicken nuggets at wendy's. Oh and we had also let him use this snack trap thing I had gotton awhile back with cheerios in the car! He figured it out and it kept him quite entertained! Well we finally made it into Houston and it seemed as if it took us 2 hours just to get through that city! Well we got to the other side and we knew we needed to take a potty break/stretch our legs. Well I really wanted coffee so we finally found a Starbucks to stop at. Well the whole way Colby had been really quiet since lunch but we just thought he was being really good and he was but it comes to find out he had gotton a bad crick in his neck. So we got to Starbucks and got Colby out. Well he seemed fine but he wouldn't pick his head up. He just wanted to be held and keep his head rested. Which this is not lik him at all. He didn't even seem excited about anything. Well after a few minutes of this my mom and I got really worried about him. He almost seemed as if he was paralyzed. I got worried that he was going to have a siezure or something. It was really scary. We would set him down and he was like lifeless. But we still kept thinking it had to be his neck b/c he would only cry whenever you moved it. So finally austin took him and started to massage his neck and move it around slowly. We also gave him some tylenol. Well after about 10 minutes he was back to his old self THANK GOD! We were so worried. He is such a spunky little boy so it was not like him at all. But it turned out I guess he just sat too long one way and his neck got stiff. Well needless to say everyone wanted me to sit with him the rest of the way. So I sat in the back which really wasn't comfortable! But this is what mommies do for their little boys.
Well we finally got to our hotel around 7. So we checked in and hurried and fed Colby dinner then we went to my aunt and uncles house just to see everyone and eat. I hated we couldn't visit long but we were all so tired! But Colby really hung in there great. He got to meet his 2 cousins Zoey and Fallon. but none of them seemed to interested with the other. Oh well maybe one day he will get to play with them more. I was really worried about how much sleep we would get that night b/c we have never stayed in a hotel with Colby before. But he did awesome! We got him bathed and gave him his milk and he went right to sleep! We also didn't hear a peep the whole night!
Saturday morning we headed back to my aunt and uncles for the reunion. They had bruch set up at 10 which was really yummy. Afterwards we just spent the afternoon visiting. It was nice to get to sit around and visit with my aunts. I didn't get to visit much with my cousins though b/c every time they were around Colby was awake and I was pretty much chasing him around. Again he did really well though...he napped great at their house. But they had a completely child friendly house which made things so much easier. In fact they had a crib in a quiet little room with fans and everything so Colby slept for like 3 hours in there. That night we watched a slide show of all the family growing up. It was really neat to watch! Well after that and dinner we had to leave b/c it was getting near 8 and we were out late already the night before. Plus we had been at their house since 10 that morning so it was time to go! Again Colby slept well.
Well today we got up and headed to San Antonio for the 2nd part of our trip. It was only about an hour drive from Austin. We got here and our room wasn't ready yet so we went to Hard Rock Cafe for lunch. We then went to the Riverwalk area and walked around and took one of the boat rides. I think Colby enjoyed the boat although he didn't get as excited as I thought he would. I guess he is still a little young. He didn't fuss though so I know he enjoyed the sights and the movement. But probably by the time he is 3 or so he would really love the fact of being on a boat! But that was his first boat ride! Afterwards we were all pretty hot and tired so we came back to the hotel well our room still wasn't ready. This was a little frustrating but we hung out in the lobby which was ok. We finally got to come up to our rooms (yes we got 2). We got adjoining rooms one for us and one for Colby! I am sure everyone is like wow your 1 year old has his own room but its really more for Austin and I. It just sucks being in a hotel and having to put him to bed and then go to bed ourselves. For 2 nights it wasn't bad but that would get old quick and since we get an employee rate we figured we could just get the 2 rooms. It has been awesome. Colby was able to take his nap while we were in the other room watching tv and using the computer! It really helped me to finally unwind. I feel like I have been going nonstop since Friday. Well tonight we got dinner at the hotel. They have a great bistro in the lobby and so we just ate that in the room. Much easier then dining out with Colby. 1 restaurant a day is enough! He does well but I just don't feel like I get to enjoy my food at all. This way eating in the room he can sit and play while we eat! It works out great! After dinner we packed Colby up and walked the riverwalk again. He loves walks so this was right up his ally. Again we got hot and sweaty so it was time to come back and get baths and get in the bed. So that is where we are now. Colby is sleeping and we are soon going to be too! Tomorrow we plan to take Colby to the zoo! I am excited...the San Antonio zoo looks really cool. Plus he loves animals. He has been to our zoo twice at home but the first he was only 3 months and the other time he was like 7 or 8 months. So now he should really get more out of it! Well I will post back tomorrow and post pictures when we get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment