Thursday, October 29, 2009

double ear infection and trip to urgent care

Well my little boy finally has his first ear infection! I think its pretty good he has made it through almost a year and half before getting one. I am kinda sad that he had to get one at all but I know it was bound to happen one day the more he is exposed to other people and kids. Well we really had no idea until tonight when it must have been getting bad. He has had a runny nose for a couple of days and I kinda had in my mind that I hoped it didn't turn into a ear infection or worse the flu. We went to MS earlier in the week and I am not sure if he caught it from someone up there I know his other grandparents were complaining of not feeling well so he could have gotton it from them or he could have had it as early as Sunday who knows? You never really know with little ones. But other then the runny nose he has shown no symptoms until tonight. Well I layed him down at 4:45 for a rest and usually this is just playtime well he was quiet and napped but I didn't think too much of it but he woke up crying. Which sometimes he does this but he quickly gets happy again. Well I went and got him and something just didn't seem right. He was still kinda crying and acting unhappy. I even layed on the couch with him but he just couldn't get still. Well I put him down to play and he just kept crying. This is SO unlike him. He normally never cries. He never really has been much of a crier. He will fall cry for like a second and quit so I knew something was wrong. I even told Austin on his way home. He suggested he might be hungry so I was like well maybe. So I fed him sweet potatoes and apple sauce ( I tried to find things that might not upset him in case it was his tummy). He ate but he was still fussy. So I went and cleaned him up and changed his diaper and gave him some tylenol well he was still screaming. So by this point Austin was home. I called the doctor and they said to wait 2 hours and if he was still crying take him to the ER. I was like no way am I gonna let him cry for 2 hours when I already know SOMETHING is wrong b/c Colby never acts like this. So I told Austin lets go to a after hours clinic. He knew of a good one downtown so we left for there. We got there just in time b/c they closed at 7 and I think we got there at 6:45. We were the only people in there. They took us right away. And right away she looked in his ears and said YEP they are red. So poor baby really was in pain. Oh and I forgot once we got in the car he calmed down but after getting in the clinic which he already hates doctors he screamed the whole time. She took his temp too and it was 99.5 which wasn't too bad. She also said his throat was red. She asked if we wanted her to do a strep test and I was like sure it can't hurt. It came back negative. So she gave us some antibiotics and sent us on our way. I am so thankful that I stayed calm and went ahead and made the decision to take him in. Austin really was glad too. I mean if we had waited we might still be in the ER with a screaming baby. So all in all I guess things worked out well. I just hope he is ready for Halloween Saturday. We have been so excited even though its his 2nd Halloween its really the 1st he will totally enjoy! I think he will be good after the antibiotics kick in. He was already back to his self once we got home. I think the Motrin the doc gave him kicked in. He was playing and acting silly! So thankful though it was nothing more serious! Just pray for him that he gets over it quickly and doesn't make anyone else sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment