Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Growing up is hard to do....




So today I began the process of tough love with my little boy the process of taking away some "baby" habits in order to complete the move from baby to toddler. So Colby has been down to only 2 bottles for quite awhile but he loves those 2 bottles of milk. I know he looks forward to them. I tried the battle of putting whole milk in sippies a few months ago and it never really clicked. He would drink it sometimes but he never seemed to enjoy it as much in a cup as in a bottle. So I gave in and continued letting him have his nap and bedtime bottle. Well this month he will be 18 months so I know we have got to wean him from this. Today I decided I would be brave and put his milk in a sippy and pray he didn't notice. YEA RIGHT! Right away when I handed it to him he looked at me like I was crazy the he shook his head and shoved it away. Hmm well I thought I will try holding him and giving it to him. UM no that only made him more mad. So I gave him a few minutes to maybe changed his mind. NOPE so I went ahead and put him in his bed. Good news I haven't heard anything from him so obviously this did not make him so upset he can't sleep. Although the other vice he does have his paci! That will be my next battle. So I am going to try to just let him drink the milk this afternoon with his snack and just won't offer any other beverages. I am thinking I will have to change the way I do things like maybe give him milk in the morning in a sippy, then juice at lunch, then milk in a sippy with a snack after his nap, and then I will continue letting him have a bottle at bedtime for a couple more months. We'll see how this works out!


Back to the paci. Well my original goal was to have him only sleeping with the pacifier at 1 then take it completely away at 2. This was going great until recently. I actually started even earlier then 1 by putting it in his bed. He was fine with that until lately. Lately he either begs for it or has become smart enough to find one and get it for himself. His attachment to it also seems to be growing which worries me a little. I try to take it away but again I haven't been as strict lately. But now that we are going to work on breaking the bottle I am going to leave the pacifier alone some I mean I will still try to hide it during the day but I want him completely off the bottle before I start trying to take away his pacifer completely too. I don't want him to be 3 and really be attached to these things! So that's the latest on Colby's growing up...he takes things pretty well I mean he could be back in his bed pitching a fit but no he's sleeping so I hope it won't be too hard on him!


He is also a little sniffly so I am praying we don't have a repeat of last January when he got bronchiolitis. He has had a runny nose for a week now. Its been clear up until today its been a little colored but not bad. I just pray it goes away without being anything big. I know some of it is due to the cold weather and being cooped up in the house. So I have tried to get him outside ...I think even when you are sick you need to be out some so we took a walk today. So I am just praying my little man gets to feeling better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment