Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My lil man is getting SO BIG!

So today we started back to GymRompers. This is Colby's 3rd session and probably the last...we'll see I may do the summer too that way he has a complete year of it. He just loves it so much. He started back last June when he was only 11 months now its January and he is 18 months. Its been so fun to see what all he has learned to do in those 7 months. When he began GymRompers he couldn't even walk he would just crawl around on the mats and he was very timid and scared of the other kids.
Now he is one of the "big" kids and walks around like he is a pro at everything. Its crazy how just week to week he learns to do new things. This week I noticed how well he climbs. He has been climbing for awhile but he would climb to the top of something or on something and not be sure how to get down. I was always worried he would fall off of something. But lately he has learned to climb on all the furniture in the house so he has naturally learned spacial awareness. Now when he climbs on stuff he doesn't try to just walk off of it or act like he doesn't know how to get down. He scoots to the edge on his butt then gets off like a big boy. He did this over and over today at GymRompers. He has also learned the art of climbing on slides then sliding down with no help.
I am so glad we have chosen to do this class because it has taught him so many motor skills. When I see him interact with other kids other places he is usually a better climber and braver then the others who probably haven't had a class like this. Some of it may be his nature but I put a lot of credit to this class. He has also learned how to interact with other children and not be scared of them. He used to be real intimidated of the other kids but now he is right there in the midst of them. He is still careful around other children which I am thankful he usually just tries to stay out of their way and not bully them. He has taken a few toys away at GymRompers but he doesn't really do it mean he just thinks that oh I can take that I think since at home mommy and daddy give him toys all the time. I think its good for him to be in this social type environment. He also lately will stop and observe the other kids which I also think is cool. It shows that his world around him is widening and he realizes he is not the only one on the planet!
He used to sit in circle time very well but I think that was partially because when we first started he wasn't as mobile. Now he would rather be up moving around. He does like the instruments and the animals and bubbles though. The teacher always says not to worry though that he is probably learning all the songs while he plays. Which is true b/c he knows when the instruments come out he heads over there. So he is paying attention he just wants to play. I also like this class because he does get such a good work out while he is there. I don't want him to ever become a couch potato so getting him involved in something like this helps him to love being active. My goal this spring too is to take him to parks a couple times a week to burn off some energy outside as well!
He's such a little man though and I wish I had pictures from today b/c he was so cute decked out in his long sleeve polo and jeans! Oh well I will try to snap some later though b/c he looks so adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment